Sunday, August 29, 2010

Chile Season

Fall is my absolute favorite season for so many reasons. The mornings grow cold, the trees turn to beautiful shades of orange and brown, and if you live in New Mexico, the smell of chile fills the air. As a kid, I have fond memories of going to the Fruit Basket every August with my Mom and Dad to pick out our sack of chile for the year. I always loved getting to help pick our batch and survey as it was roasted. I can remember watching parents buzz around the market while kids ate fresh fruit from the bins outside. This was quite the event for us kids and if we were good my Dad would buy us each a big cinnamon sucker (delicious)! For all of my years, I unconditionally loved the family chile!

This year my Mom delivered some unsettling news…she would no longer be my chile supplier! You can imagine my shock and devastation in hearing this bit of information. She said “Kristin Ann, you’re 28 years old and it’s time you bagged your own chile”. Once the initial shock of knowing that I would no longer have individually bagged delicious chile hand delivered to my home, I made plans to have a chile peeling party.












My Mom was nice enough to host the first annual chile peeling party on what turned out to be a beautiful Saturday afternoon. When Georgia and I arrived with our 20 bucks we were surprised to see what an event this truly was. The table outside was set up with individual chile peeling stations! We each had a tray of chile, a bowl of ice water and a cozy chair. Together with my Mom, brother, sister-in-law, nephews, aunt, uncle and cousins, we peeled 4 sacks of New Mexico’s finest. My auntie Sue made her famous chile rellenos to snack on while we worked and we ended the night grilling up some amazing green chile cheese burgers. All and all, it was a great night and I would have to say that I did feel pretty grown-up as I tucked my chile safely away in the freezer when I got home. Thanks Mom.


Organic green chile chicken pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...