Sunday, September 12, 2010

Beef Stroganoff – it’s what’s for dinner!

Growing up there were several dishes that I absolutely loved. Below are a few of my favorites:


1. Sausage & potatoes- simple, manly, delicious.
2. Grilled vegetables - my Dad was very generous with the butter and garlic which is what I think made this dish amazing. Everything is better with butter...you heard it here first folks.
3. Stuffed bell peppers - my brother still asks my Mom to make this for him every year for his birthday.
4. Breakfast for dinner - eggs, chorizo, potatoes, chile, tortillas, etc. Breakfast just seems to taste better at night!
5. Beef stroganoff - beautiful, delectable, mouth-watering beef stroganoff. If you can't tell, this is my favorite dish of all time. I order it whenever I see it on a menu and I'm often left disappointed because it never seems to be as good as my Moms...


This evening I am going to attempt beef stroganoff for this first time. I am hopeful that it will be tasty! Below is the recipe if any of you want to give it a go.


Beef Stroganoff Recipe:


6 Tbsp butter
1 pound of top sirloin or tenderloin, cut thin into long strips
1/3 cup chopped shallots
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup of sour cream
1 beef stroganoff sauce mix (you can get this at the grocery store for about a dollar)


1. Melt 3 Tbsp of butter over medium heat. Increase the heat to high/med-high and add the beef. While cooking the beef, sprinkle with salt and pepper. When both sides are browned, remove the beef and set aside.
2. In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots. Cook the shallots for a minute or two, allowing them to soak up any meat drippings. Remove the shallots to the same bowl as the meat and set aside.
3. In the same pan, melt another 3 Tbsp of butter. Increase heat to medium high and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to low and add the sour cream to the mushrooms. You can add a tablespoon or two of water to thin the sauce. Mix in the sour cream but be sure not to let it come to a simmer or boil or the sour cream will curdle. Stir in the beef and shallots. Add salt and pepper to taste.


I like to serve over egg noodles but you could also do rice- serves about 4.




Here is the little bit of cooking advice I will leave you with this evening...when you're cooking, it really doesn't matter what you're cooking- add garlic! Garlic makes everything taste better. Well, that and Cholula!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...