Monday, September 27, 2010

The World Kept Turning

I went to the mailbox after work today, just like any other day.  I pulled out a couple of catalogues, some bills and a brown envelope.  When I got back to the house, I grabbed a knife and begin to open what I thought was just a regular piece of mail.  Much to my surprise it was our marriage license all the way from Vancouver, B.C.  When I realized what it was, I carefully pulled it out of the envelope and just stared at it for a moment.  I read it from top to bottom running my hand across its seal.  I smelled it, I looked at it very closely and then from far.  I thought to myself, I’m the only person that knows that I have this right now.  The fact that I’m holding this license in my hands isn’t hurting anyone.  There are no marriages that are instantaneously falling apart because this piece of paper arrived today.  The world is still turning, people are still getting married…and half of those people are getting divorced.  I couldn’t help but sit and ask myself, what sanctity is being sacrificed here?  We are both adults, we’re both responsible; we pay taxes, have families and believe in God.  We are both human.  I too believe in the sanctity of marriage.  If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have asked Georgia to marry me.  I love her, I respect her, I’m true to her and isn’t that what marriage is suppose to be about?

I know in my heart that this human right will be extended to us one day in all parts of the world.  I guess I just wish that day could come a little sooner. 
In the meantime, I’m married in my heart, I’m married in the eyes of my family and I’m married in Canada.  For now, that will have to do.

1 comment:

  1. I love this and just shared it with everyone in my office...well, not the partners. Good work you two - you continue to inspire me!

    Love Missy Poo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...