Sunday, November 14, 2010

Crock Pot Cookin: Asian Beef Stew

My wife loves her some Asian food!  Asian cuisine, anything Asian infused, you name it – she loves it!  I decided to take on this Asian beef stew even though I’d never heard of nor could I pronounce some of the ingredients…luckily it came out DELICIOUS!  I can be a bit self conscious when it comes to cooking but I must say this stew was gooood!  Most of the ingredients can be found in the spice aisle and what I call the “cultural aisle” (you know the area where you can get the goods to make traditional Mexican, Indian, and Asian cuisine).  This stew is hearty but healthy and makes about 6 servings.  Any meal that takes less than thirty minutes to make and serves as dinner and lunch the following day makes me happy!  I think it would also be yummy as a vegetarian dish sans the beef & broth for all you weirdos that don’t eat meat (Missy, I’m talking to you)!  Ha - j/k my veggie loving friends! 

Here’s a snapshot of the goods in case you (like me) have no idea what hoisin sauce looks like...it literally took me 20 minutes to find the dang stuff!



* 1 cup scallion onions
* 1 ½ pounds lean round steak, sliced thin across the grain
* 2 sticks of celery, sliced
* 1 cup peeled or sliced carrots
* 1-2 cup(s) sliced mushrooms
* 1 cup orange juice
* 1 cup reduced sodium fat free beef broth
* 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder or curry powder
* 1 cup frozen peas
* Hot cooked rice (I use instant because who has time to make “real” rice, seriously)?
* ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)


Step 1: place onions, beef, celery, carrots & mushrooms in 5-quart crock pot

Step 2: Combine orange juice, broth, hoisin sauce, cornstarch & five-spice powder in small bowl.  Mix and pour into crock pot.  Cook on low 8 hours or until beef is tender

Step 3: When you get home from work and your stew is finished, stir in frozen peas and cilantro 20 minutes before you plan to eat while you make your instant rice (which only takes about 10 minutes).

*Georgia made a yummy sauce which is a mixture of equal parts soy sauce & chile garlic sauce which served as a great way to spice things up!  Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. I've got it in the pot now! I can't wait. If its half as good as the chicken chile, I'm going to get a very good wife bonus for being a rock star cook!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo, hoo! So how did it come out??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...