Friday, November 19, 2010

Giving Thanks

For me, Thanksgiving is a holiday that is about much more than just turkey and mashed potatoes with red chile.  It is a time of year when we can truly reflect on the many gifts that God has blessed us with and give thanks for the special people in our lives.  It can at times, be easy for me to focus on the things I want rather than giving thanks and praise for the many good things I have.  I’m sure this feeling of always wanting more is an emotion that many of us can identify with.  When you finally have that great job, you want to make more money.  When you own your first home, you’re already dreaming of the next house you want to build.  When you have a loving spouse, all you want is a baby – and if you’re not careful, you can live your entire life chasing the next best thing and completely miss the beauty that is right in front of you.  


The other night as I finished cleaning the kitchen, I heard the faint sound of the heater clicking on.  At that moment I got this overwhelming feeling of gratitude for the many things I’ve been blessed with.  I know this sounds a bit random but on this particular night it was very, very cold outside.  G and I had just winterized the air conditioner because that morning the news warned that it was going to be the first freeze of the season.  As I looked around my house I felt so extremely blessed for the roof over my head.  I felt blessed that my wife was happily playing solitaire on the couch.  I felt blessed that we had just shared a delicious and filling dinner together.  I felt blessed that my home was warm and safe and I felt blessed that our pups were sleeping peacefully in the garage sheltered from the cold night outside.  I truly do believe that regardless of your circumstance, we all have something to be thankful for. 

I am thankful for all of you – our friends and family that care enough about us to visit our blog and keep up with our lives.  I am thankful for my health and that I am a strong and spirited person.  I am thankful for the love and support of my mom and mother-in-law.  I am thankful that I have the means to travel to visit my sister who has moved away.  I am thankful that my wife makes me feel beautiful.  I am thankful that I’ve learned to truly love cooking.  I am thankful that I have two beautiful and smart nephews that love me.  I am thankful that I have cousins that are also great friends.  I am thankful for the lessons my dad was able to teach me in our 17 years together.  I am thankful that I still have great grandparents in my life because I know many people my age that don’t.  I am thankful that I have lifelong friends that share my same stories of childhood, and lastly, I am thankful that during this winter season, I have loved ones to share the holidays with.   

What are you thankful for?  

1 comment:

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...