Monday, December 13, 2010

Crock Pot Cookin: Green Chile Beef Stew

Back in early August, G and I bagged what felt like a thousand sacks of green chile.  Now here we are in December and over the past 5 months we’ve used ONE tiny bag of the dang stuff!  I am in desperate need of a little freezer space so the chile must go!  I’m going to try to infuse green chile in my next couple of crock pot recipes, so if you’re not a fan of the hot stuff, feel free to eliminate that ingredient from the mix.  I wanted to start “operation use the damn chile” with a beef stew because I think we can all agree that green chile stew is a classic must have in the winter!  The batch of chile I’m using today is very HOT so I’m only going to toss in a little and if it’s not too fiery when I sample the stew tomorrow – I’ll add a bit more!  I opted to use the store bought beef stew seasoning packet because it is a much healthier option then going the traditional route (i.e. flour and lard)…you can find the packet I used – McCormick Slow Cookers Beef Stew Seasoning in the spice aisle (your arteries will be glad you did)!   Happy cooking ~

What you’ll need:


~ 1 pkg. McCormick Hearty Beef Stew Seasoning
~ 3 lbs. stew beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
~ 5 to 7 cups cut-up vegetables, such as carrots, celery, onions and potatoes
   (Klondike potatoes are my favorite)
~ 1 can fat free beef broth
~ ½ cup water
~ 1 can diced tomatoes
~ ½ to 1 cup diced green chile
~ 3 teaspoons garlic powder
~ Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

Step 1: Place beef and vegetables in 5 quart slow cooker.

Step 2: Mix seasoning pkg, garlic powder, water and broth until blended.  Pour over beef and vegetables; toss to coat well. Cover.

Step 3: Cook 8 hours on low.  Stir before serving.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

This recipe makes 6-8 servings and goes great with toasted garlic bread!

 

This is the perfect dish for serving a full house during the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...