Thursday, January 6, 2011

Crock Pot Cookin: Lemon Chicken and Rice

It’s a new year and like most of America, the Roybal’s are looking to get a little healthier.  I’m not a big fan of New Year’s resolutions however; I’ve always said that it’s good to have goals (which are basically the same thing just less pressure)!  My goal for 2011 is to be more heart healthy.  To do this – eating healthier is a must.  G and I are definitely carnivores but we are going to make a consorted effort to eat more chicken, fish and turkey and a little less red meat. 


For years we had this favorite lemon chicken dish that I made from a box recipe...yes a box…just add chicken :)  The recipe was quick, easy and delicious but unfortunately I’ve been unable to find it in over a year.  I decided I would take matters in to my own hands and make the scrumptious meal from scratch…it came out pretty good but I let it cook a little longer than I should have.  The recipe called for 6 to 7 hours…I decided to go to the gym after work and it ended up cooking for about 9 to 10 hours.  I know – not the smartest.  In any case, it was still really good so here it is.   

What you’ll need:


- 3 cans (10¾ ounces each) condensed fat free cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups regular rice (not instant) I used brown and white rice to add some color and a little whole grain
- 2 cups water
- 1 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup lemon juice

Cookin time!


1. Combine soup, rice and water in the Crock Pot.  Add chicken; sprinkle with salt, paprika and pepper.  Sprinkle celery over chicken.

2. Cover; cook on low 6 to 7 hours, or on high 3 to 4 hours

3. Eat!


Oh, and a quick question…whose wife went to the market for her at 9pm on a work night because she was missing one ingredient from her crock pot recipe?  Mine did!  She’s a keeper!

2 comments:

  1. totally making the holiday roast tomorrow! Seriously, your blog makes me feel like we hang out. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I'm loving it and I have you to thank! Thank you for introducing me to the world of blogging - love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...