Sunday, January 30, 2011

Crock Pot Cookin: Turkey & Bean Chili

When stressed or upset some people shop.  Some people drink.  I cook.  Well, that’s what I’ve been doing a lot of these past two weeks anyway.  Searching for a new recipe, shopping for ingredients and getting lost in the business of cooking has been somewhat therapeutic for me.  I decided to try a chili recipe this weekend because I thought me and G could use some comfort food.  The dish tasted a lot like the chile they have at Wendy’s (which is delicious) only my version is much healthier!  This was my first Crock Pot creation that called for turkey meat and I would have to say it was a success.  For any of you who may be having a tough week or a bad day, roll up your sleeves and get cookin…it made me feel better.


The goods:


v  2 cans (14 ounces each) sodium-free peeled whole tomatoes, drained
v  2 cans (14 ounces each) sodium-free red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
v  1.5 pounds cooked 95% fat-free ground turkey
v  1 can (14 ounces) reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed & drained
v  1 can (12 ounces) sodium-free tomato sauce
v  1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
v  1 ½ cups chopped celery
v  1 ½ cups chopped carrot
v  3 tablespoons chili powder
v  1 tablespoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
v  4 teaspoons ground cumin
v  2 teaspoons ground red pepper
v  2 teaspoons salt
v  ½ cup water


I decided to eat my chili with some reduced fat cheese “frito pie style”!  G ate her chili with crackers – great either way :)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...