Wednesday, January 19, 2011

No Rest for the Weary

I’m so jealous of Georgia.  She is the best sleeper ever and I suck at sleeping.  I was thinking about this last night as I lay awake at 1:30am staring at the ceiling fan (and you all know how I feel about that damn fan)!  I can literally be exhausted ALL DAY but come night it’s like my brain clicks into overdrive and there is no helping me.  I’ve tried it all…reading before bed, having an early dinner, cutting out caffeine after 11am, taking a warm bath, you name it – I’ve tried it.  About a year ago my sis suggested doing a breathing exercise in which you basically just take deep calming breaths in and out until you fall peacefully asleep.  In typical me fashion, I would end up thinking way too much about the breathing and that alone would keep me awake.  I’ve even counted sheep (which does work sometimes – just an FYI). 


When it’s time for bed the first thing I usually think about is work.  I then follow this up with going over my mental to do list.  I think about my goals, I think about politics and whatnot and then I think about ghosts and spirits and how they are going to float through my bedroom door at any moment and take me away!  Yes, you heard me right…I am terrified by paranormal activity.  All irony aside, I actually blame the movie – Paranormal Activity.  This horrible movie came out about 2 years ago and I made the mistake of watching it, not once but twice.  The thing that’s so ridiculous is that I can watch scary movies all day as long as they involve the living.  I’m truly not afraid of strangers, gangsters or any other creepy human beings.  The thing that scares me is the idea that there is some restless spirit or demon like ghost chillin in my house just waiting for G to fall asleep.

On the nights (like last night) when all my sleeping tricks don’t work and I’m awake at 2:00am, I start to question every noise I hear…so naturally I wake up G.  She loves these nights ;)  I decided last night that I may be at a point in my life when I need to stop watching paranormal type scary movies.  This is somewhat sad and makes me feel a bit old kind of like adults that stop riding roller coasters...is that next?!  Who knows?  It has been a tough couple of weeks which I’m sure is not helping the sleep situation.  You know the saying – when it rains, it pours.  I feel lucky that if nothing else, I have a partner by my side to walk with me through the tough stuff.  She sent me a prayer today to make me feel better.  I thought it was beautiful and it really did brighten my spirits so I wanted to share it with you all. 

Saint Theresa’s Prayer

May today there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing that you are a child of God.  Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.

1 comment:

  1. I have completely sworn off scary movies! Not worth the stress!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...