Sunday, February 20, 2011

Crock Pot Cookin: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Growing up, one of my favorite books was the story of a little girl that spent the afternoon making tortilla soup with her Grandma.  As they cooked together, the Grandmother told the little girl about the history of the recipe and the traditions of their family.  It was such a wonderful story all about the special bond shared between the two.  Back in elementary school, I would check the book out at the Griegos Library as often as possible and I would read it over and over!  I wish I could remember the title but despite my best efforts – I haven’t been able to find it :(

I’ve never been one to order tortilla soup and it’s not really a dish I grew up eating, but when I came across the recipe the memories of the book and my years at Griegos came rushing back.  Those were some good years and this ended up being some good soup!  Georgia said that it’s her favorite crock pot creation so far…but she says that every time ;) 

What you’ll need:


- 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
-  1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
-  1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
-  1 medium onion, chopped
-  1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers (I used fresh green chile)
-  3 cloves garlic, minced
-  2 cups water
-  1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
-  1 teaspoon cumin
-  1 teaspoon chili powder
-  1 teaspoon salt
-  ¼ teaspoon black pepper
-  1 bay leaf
-  1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
-  2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
-  1 package corn tortillas
-  Vegetable oil



What to do:

1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies, and garlic into slow cooker.  Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.  Stir in corn and cilantro.  Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

3. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil.  Cut tortillas into strips, season with garlic salt and pepper, then spread on a baking sheet.




4. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes.  To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.




Enjoy!



On another note... here’s a preview of the DIY project we are working on right now! 

We’re in the process of painting the office as it will soon be our office/guestroom/craft room!  We have cleaned out SO much stuff I can hardly believe it.  The shred bin is full, we took another 3 trash bags of donations to BBBS yesterday and we’ve only just begun…     



So happy to see the red go!


We'll keep you posted on the progress!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously Delicious. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cissy, can I just tell you how happy it makes me to know that my friends actually try my recipes! That just made my day! I'm so glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've tried every single one you put up here except one. I'm with Georgia on this one...it is seriously the best. I always send the recipes to my sis and she makes them every time! She's a huge fan of the crock pot cookin too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...