Saturday, March 5, 2011

Crock Pot Cookin: Spicy Taco Soup


My crock pot adventures were born out of necessity.  When working roughly 45 hours a week, making dinner has always been the last thing I want to do when I get home.  When my day is done, I prefer to spend the evening working on DIY projects, reading, playing “Words with Friends” (I’m obsessed with this game), watching my favorite shows and spending time with G.  Notice making dinner is not on this list?!  The thing that initially attracted me to crock pot cooking is that there are endless recipes to make your own and with minimal prep – you have a meal! 

I love that it only takes me about 20 minutes or so the night before I bust out the crock pot, to get my ingredients together and plan dinner for the following day.  I started doing this around August of last year and I’m always working to cut my prep time.  One thing I started doing recently is to pour all my can goods, water, olive oil and whatever other liquids the recipe calls for in a large bowl the night before.  By doing this, I’m able to save the time it would take me to open all the cans, clean and recycle them as well as the time it takes to measure the liquid ingredients.  Yes, I know this only take about 10 minutes…but when it’s early in the AM and you’re rushing to get out of the house – 10 minutes is a lifetime!   

The funny thing is…I really do love to cook.  Just not during the week!

The goods ~


§  1lb. ground beef, browned
§  1 large onion, diced
§  1 (1.25 oz.) pkg. taco seasoning
§  1 can (16 oz.) can Red Kidney Beans with juice
§  1 can (16 oz.) white beans with juice
§  1 can (16 oz.) can whole Corn with juice
§  2 cans (28 oz.) diced tomatoes with juice
§  ½  cup salsa
§  ½ green pepper, diced
§  2 jalapenos (white or green)
§  2 cups water
§  Lean ground beef 

Directions:

1. In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned over medium heat. Drain, and set aside.  I threw in a little sautéed garlic to add flavor :)



2. Dice your green peppers, jalapenos and onions.


3. Place the ground beef, onion, kidney beans, white beans, corn, water, diced tomatoes, green peppers, jalapenos, salsa and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Season with garlic salt (optional).  Mix to blend, and cook on Low setting for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.


We garnished the soup with cheese and sour cream but you can also add diced black olives.  This soup goes great with baked garlic bread – enjoy!



DIY Update: we’re making SLOW but steady progress on the office/guestroom transformation.  I don’t think I realized how much time it would take to patch up the walls and primer everything…sheesh!  We will hopefully finish painting this weekend so we can work on pulling out the old carpet next week! 


I just realized that all the pics I take of our projects, G looks like she’s doing all the work!  I do help – I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...