Friday, April 29, 2011

A Royal Wedding Rant…

What an exciting day!  Last night, G and I spent hours channel surfing like a bunch of royal wedding crashers.  We watched a documentary on Princess Diana which was so very sad.  It’s hard to believe that it has already been more than a decade since she left us.  We spent the remainder of the evening watching one pre-wedding special after another on BBC.  For a short time, we played with the idea of pulling an all-nighter and watching the ceremony live... but then we came to our senses and went the DVR route.  


Although this is such an exciting event for us (and a couple billion other people), it’s been my observation that most Americans (many people I know anyway) could care less about this historical day.  Not only could they care less about it, but many are visibly disturbed that the event has even received as much media attention and hoopla as it has.  I’ve read comments written where people have literally cursed the event… some have called those who planned to watch the wedding stupid… while others have referenced war, poverty and crime as things we should all be much more concerned with.  Well duh!  Of course war is more important than a wedding…. I believe this goes without saying.  Here is what I have to say about these comments --- for the love of God, lighten up people!  For one day, shelve your negativity and cynicism and just enjoy the damn wedding.  This is after all something that only comes around every 30 years or so.  Of course there are more concerning things going on in the world.  Yes we are still entrenched in what feels like an endless war.  Yes the economy is struggling and money is tight, but guess what – all these things are still going to be here on Saturday so let’s just be happy for this young man who lost his mother at such a young age and now has the chance to create a new family of his own.  For 24 hours, let’s celebrate a young girl whose family came from very humble beginnings and yet here she is a Dutchess!

I think the reason these attitudes and comments bother me so much is that while I too see the glass half-empty at times, people who are habitual dooms day(ers) drive me nuts!  The sky is not always falling.  It’s okay to stop and smell the roses once in awhile.  A generally negative attitude and outlook on life causes pre-mature wrinkles – and here I thought everyone’s mother taught them this?!   

Missy and I have been talking about this wedding all week.  I sent her the picture below this morning of me wearing a little princess tiara to work in the spirit of the royal wedding!


Here’s the funny thing….she text back a picture of her wearing a bird in her hair and pearls in celebrations of the nuptials.  What can I say – we are cut from the same cloth :)


I’m looking forward to watching the wedding tonight while drinking a little English beer!  I can’t believe I’ll be nearly 60 years old the next time I watch another royal wedding of this significance…Cheers to William & Catherine! 

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for them and loved watching every minute and every re-run of everything! I do have to say though ... first kiss was WEAK SAUCE! Lay one on her Will! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! We've been watching wedding stuff all weekend and I agree - that first kiss was bore snore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! well put! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...