Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mango Salsa & the 4th of July


Ok, so I realize that today is the 20th and that this 4th of July post is SUPER late.  It has been a crazy couple of week and in about a month or two my blog slacking will all make sense.  Anyhow, our 4th was pretty chill this year.  For the first time in my life we didn’t go to the lake but stayed in town and went to a BBQ instead.  Our friends Deanna and Erik had a pool party at their beautiful home in the Foothills so we spent the day swimming and eating delicious BBQ with our work peeps.  Deanna insisted that we not bring anything but my ma raised me to never attend a gathering empty handed, so I decided I would try a new recipe. 

My original plan was to make some homemade salsa with shrimp.  Shrimp may sound like a random food to serve with salsa, however since I found out that my body doesn’t get along with most carbohydrates, the tortilla chips have had to go (so sad).  Georgia came up with the shrimp idea and I would to say that I think the shrimp is what made the meal!  While I was at the grocery store roaming the isles trying to remember what you put in salsa, my sis gave me a call.  She suggested that I make mango salsa and was nice enough to email me a recipe.  Thank you sister bear, you saved the day! 

I was a bit nervous to take the dish to the party because this was the first time I had made this type of salsa.  Luckily the recipe was a success!  I overheard several friends asking who made the yummy salsa and I’ve even had a few people ask for the recipe since the party – yay!  Below is my version of this dish (which I doubled to serve more people).  If you have a gathering this summer and don’t know what to bring, I would highly suggest you give it a try.  

What you’ll need: 


~ 1 bag cooked large shrimp (they usually come frozen)
~ 3 avocados – peeled and diced
~ 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
~ 1 cup fresh cilantro – chopped
~ 3 jalapeno peppers – minced
~ 2 mangos – peeled and diced
~ 8 tomatoes – diced
~ 6 cloves of garlic – minced
~ 2 teaspoons salt
~ ½ cup chopped red onion
~ 5 tablespoons olive oil

What to do:

Place shrimp in water to thaw.  Your shrimp should be completely thawed by the time your other ingredients is ready.


Peel and dice your mangos.  Warning, peeling a mango is a bitch.  Try and find ripe mangos, as they are much easier to peel.  If you’re not sure what a ripe mango looks/feels like, ask the produce guy!



According to my sis, tomatoes on the vine are far superior to those minus the vine!  You can typically find tomatoes on the vine in most markets.


Be sure to save the pit of your avocados once they’ve been peeled and diced.  A little secret my dad taught me is to throw the pits in your finished salsa… helps the avocado to keep from browning. Tip #913 from dad :)

In a medium bowl, combine the mango, avocado, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro and garlic.  Stir in the salt, limejuice, red onion and olive oil.  Blend and refrigerate for 30+ minutes before serving.

Enjoy!


We hope you all had an awesome 4th of July!


Swimming with baby Sophia!  She is such a cutie :)


Deanna and her sis Demetra who is pregnant with twins!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...