Thursday, October 13, 2011

Crock Pot Cookin: Beef & Peppers

It’s that time of year again… crock pot season (with a twist!)  This fall/winter my recipes are going to look and taste a little different.  Rather than the starchier, heavy recipes, I’ll be cookin low carb and low cal.  Now before you panic please know that much like today’s meal, we’ll taste all crock pot cookin before I post.  I will say that if this evening’s creation is any indication of how the rest will turn out – you’ll all be happy campers! 

For my first crock pot adventure of the season I chose Beef & Peppers, mostly because I’m still waiting for Georgia to no longer find chicken revolting… oh how I miss chicken :(  I’ve selected another beef recipe, 2 pork and 2 chicken dishes thus far for the fall season.  I’m going to do my best to blog at least one crock pot dish each week.  Apparently people actually read my blog and enjoy trying out the meals I make, which I find rather exciting!  If you do try a CP dish, I would love to hear how it turns out and for all you carb lovers out there, feel free to incorporate brown rice, egg noodles, pasta or any other starch to these meals.  They will all go great with pretty much any dish.  

Something new that I’m going to try this year is to give you all an idea of what it cost to make each meal.  Hopefully over time you’ll have most of the dry ingredients in the pantry so all you’ll need to buy is the fresh stuff!  For this creation all I needed was the steak (which is a bit pricier than chicken and pork), the peppers, garlic and onion which cost approximately $17.00.  Not too bad for a meal that feeds 4 with leftovers.  

Let the slow cooking begin!    

What you’ll need –


·       3lbs round steak lean
·       2 green, red or yellow peppers sliced thin
·       1 cup onions minced ~ I LOVE onions so I say the more the merrier
·       2 cups 99% fat free beef broth
·       4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
·       1 tsp ground ginger ~ you can find this in the spice section
·       1 garlic clove minced
·       2 tsp reduced sodium Worcestershire sauce

What to do –

1. Cut steak into serving size slices.  If desired you can brown the meat in a little light olive oil before adding to the crock pot. I always recommend browning meat just to be on the safe side.


2. Spray the inside of your crock pot with Pam and place the thinly sliced pepper rings in the bottom of the crock pot, reserving a few to place on top of the meat if desired.


3. Arrange the meat on your peppers.


4. Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and pour over meat and peppers.


5. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for about 4 hours.

and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...