I first came across these cute little poms at Hobby Lobby in the party aisle. While they were adorable, I had a hard time understanding how HB could rationalize charging $12 for something made out of a few sheets of tissue paper… Luckily I was able to find DIY instructions online so I decided to take on the challenge of making a few handmade poms with the help of my lovely wife and a few friends :)
We owe a HUGE thank you to Becca and Erin for helping us make the poms and for helping us make the flower pens too! We would never have been able to make enough flowerpots, poms and pens for 60+ guests without their help. Thank you both so much!
If you have an event coming up and you’re feeling crafty, this is a super quick and easy project that I’m sure your family and friends would love! I know ours did!
What you’ll need: tissue paper, scissors, fishing line & floral wire
1. Plan to use 10-12 sheets of paper per pom. I played with color and added some baby shower themed paper to mix things up a bit. Stack the sheets on top of each other and start folding accordion style. Folds should be about 1 1/2 inches wide. If you’re making smaller poms make the fold width about 1 inch.
2. Once you’re done, fold the paper in half so that you can locate the center of the paper.
3. Cut a piece of wire about 8 inches long. Wrap the wire around the center of the paper and twist the ends together to keep the wire in place. This will be in the center of the pom.
4. Make a loop with the ends of the wire. Put ribbon, string or fishing line through the loop as a way to hang your pom when it’s finished. Before fanning out your tissue sheets feel free to cut the ends to give each of your poms a unique look.
5. Fan your accordian of paper out and begin pulling the paper up (towards the center) to form the pom, one sheet at a time. Be careful during this step because the tissue paper tears easily.
Be gentle at first, you can make adjustments later :)
6. Fluff and make adjustments to the poms until they look the way you like!
I LOVED the way they came out but I didn’t remember to take any pictures of them on display at the actual shower... Here’s one that I happened to get while taking a pic of Georgia rubbing her belly. Isn’t she so beautiful?!
Happy crafting :)