Saturday, May 19, 2012

Great books for families like ours

It can be difficult to find books that represent families like ours.  I first experienced this when we found out that Gracie was on the way.  It was important to us that along with books like Cinderella and Snow White, Grace also had books that she could identify with, books that showed families like hers.  In my quest I went to one bookstore, then another and then another...  Let’s just say that I went home that day a bit sad and empty handed.  Thankfully there is a little thing called the Internet where I was able to find all the books I knew had to be out there! 

For all my fellow blogger friends (many of which are new parents), here’s a list of the books we have collected for baby girl.  If any of you have favorites that I’ve missed please share!  I’m always looking to grow our little library. :)

:: A Tale of Two Mommies By Vanita Oelschlager ::


:: All Kinds of Families by Mary Ann Holerman ::


:: Mommy, Mama and Me by Leslea Newman ::


:: I Wished for You by Marianne Richmond ::


:: and Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson ::


:: The Family Book by Todd Parr ::


:: Emma and Meesha My Boy by Kaitlyn Taylor Considine ::


:: The Different Dragon by Jennifer Bryan ::


:: Oh The Things Mommies Do by Crystal Tompkins ::


:: It’s Okay to Be Different by Todd Parr ::    

4 comments:

  1. Yip...some of my fav's. Sydney LOVED Emma and Meesha my boy. She was reading it to all of us before she knew how to read because she memorized it :)
    Didn't love the Dragon one. Too much talk talk talk....my kids got really bored with it.
    Any ways. Can't think of any that you missed right off. Although....there's a GREAT book for kids going to school....it's more for the teacher than the child. It's called, Molly's Family by Nancy Garden. It kind of gives the teacher ways of dealing with any questions that might come up. Any hew. That's all I've got :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly's Family, got it - thanks! I just ordered "The Different Dragon" so I have yet to actually read it to Grace. I've found that at her age it's much easier to read really wordy books because it means I have to turn the page less often... who knew that holding a kid, reading and turning pages (while sitting on a rocking chair) could be so difficult. LOL!

    P.S. For all you 2 daddy families, there are dad versions of most of the mommy books I've listed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are good books for all types of families so that all children grow up knowing about different types of families. We have the Todd Parr books you mentioned above and more of his. His books are great! Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree Elena! I'm loving Todd Parr. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...