Sunday, June 17, 2012

7th Annual Blogging for LGBT Families Day!

When me and G started dating many moons ago, we wanted a group of lesbian friends so bad!  It wasn’t that we didn’t have as many lesbian friends as we would have liked… it’s that we didn’t have a single one.  To be honest, we still don’t have any that we’re close with.  I know this may sound like the most random thing and you are likely asking yourself, why do you need gay lady friends and what’s wrong with palling around with straight friends?!  That’s a good question – allow me to explain.  First, we LOVE our heterosexual friends.  So much so that the majority of people we are super close with have been in our lives for 20+ years.  They’re great and we are lucky to have them.  Having said that, we still long for that sense of community that seems to be missing when you don’t have close friends that can identify with your family and your experiences as a lesbian couple.

A few years back, Georgia and I threw a BYOL (Bring Your Own Lesbian) party.  We thought it would be a great opportunity to meet lesbo couples living in NM and when the day came that we had kids, we would have other mom/mom families that we could join for play dates.  Well… not a single lesbian came to our party.  We ended up throwing a bash with all of our "fabulous" guy friends and it turned out to be a pretty great night.  I think that’s when we made peace with the fact that we weren’t going to have the huge network of lesbian gal pals that we wanted and that it was ok if we didn’t.
 
Chillin with the homies at our BYOL party ~ 2007
This is one of the reasons I love blogging so much.  When I started this blog 2 years ago I did it as a way of tracking our TTC journey.  Little did I know that it would create the LGBT sense of community that I longed for.  I’ve had the opportunity to meet so many 2 mom and 2 dad families and follow along as they raise their kids and just live life.  To put it simply, it has been great to read about and see pictures of families that are like mine.  I love reading these stories and I enjoy contributing to the dialogue as well.  The wife recently submitted a post that I wrote back in 2010 about same sex marriage as a contributing post on Mombian’s Blogging for LGBT Families Day.  There were so many great contributions from gay and lesbian families from all over that I ended up spending nearly an entire day reading all of them.  I would encourage you all to read a few.  I’m number 58. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Lesbian friends are overrated.
    ;-)
    Not really.
    I'm sorry that you don't have any 2 mom families near you.
    Keep searching. They are out there somewhere.
    Hell.....lesbians with kids are like the 7-11 (or Mormon churches) in Utah. They are on every corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm surprised to hear that lesbians are like 7-11's in Utah of all places? Maybe we should move there. ;)

    I recently went on the search for a lesbian mommy group in New Mexico and had no success. There literally is not a single group in the state (not that I can find online anyway)! In the spirit of not giving up - I guess I'm going to have to start one.

    Keep on searching... keep on searching...

    ~ Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...