Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Birthday Boy

Our nephew Devin turned 6 years old this past weekend so as is customary my brother rented a gigantic jumper and waterslide for the event.  Devin’s water themed party was at the park, which we loved because it gave us an excuse to finally dress baby girl in one of the adorable swimsuits we were given at our shower and let me just say – there are a couple of things that I learned about baby swimsuits as we got ready for the party… 1.) They can be very difficult to put on 2.) They are super cute but not the most comfortable attire for little babes and 3.) Once you finally get the damn thing on, your child will likely take a GIANT poop as our Gracie girl did and you’ll need to start the process all over AGAIN!  The poor thing was so "over it" by the time she was finally dressed, lol!  Looking on the brightside, I did get a lot of practice taking the swimsuit on and off so we’re all set for swim time this summer!  Ha!   

They say that when you see someone often you don’t really notice just how much they’ve grown.  This was definitely true for Devin.  I watched as this once little kid, who was terrified of the waterslide at his last party, now sliding down headfirst!  I went to give a big hug and kiss to my cuddly little man only to discover that he now prefers just a hug, no kisses and I watched as the birthday boy opened his gifts while holding his composure and thanking everyone, when just last year he squealed with excitement during present time.  I realized that he’s not just getting older – he is older.  It’s only a matter of time before he is as big as his brother Rudy and no longer asks for “huggies”, otherwise known as hugs. ::tear::


We spent the afternoon in the sun grilling burgers, listening to Classic Rock and playing in the water.  At the risk of sounding cheesy, the day was just another reminder of how lucky we are to have the family we have.  My great grandparents who are 95 and 93 years old were able to join us and smiled from ear to ear as they cuddled baby girl.  We also got to spend some good quality time with my sister-in-law and her family who absolutely adore Grace.


The highlight of the day involved my genius idea to climb inside the water jumper to play with the boys.  Let’s just say that getting into a jumper made for children is much easier than getting out of one!  After jumping around a bit I made my way to the exit, realized that the opening was much lower than I remembered and as I attempted to climb through it I ended up getting shot out of the opening like a canon.  Luckily I landed on my feet and there were no pictures taken of my near death experience. ;)

I LOVE this picture!  Just look at that face :)
Rudy right before he squirted me (and my camera)!
The man of the hour!  Happy birthday Devin, we love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...