Friday, June 1, 2012

Gracie’s 1st Camping Trip

I know what some of you must be thinking as you read this post… “You took your baby camping, really”?!  The reason I’m assuming that a few of you will have this reaction, is that many of our friends and family had the same response.  To help everyone understand why we felt it was perfectly fine and safe to introduce our baby girl to the great outdoors at 3 months old I’ll have to give you a little background first.  Growing up my family practically LIVED at the lake and in the mountains.  During the summer months we went laking or camping literally every other weekend and this tradition started when I was just 6 weeks old.  I have many, many pictures of my siblings and I playing in the water or crawling in the dirt, having a great time as little babies.  To be completely honest, these are some of my fondest memories!

When I first met Georgia years ago, her love for the outdoors (specifically camping) was one of the things that sealed the deal and showed me that she was the one.  She had all the best camping gadgets and other wilderness accessories and was more than enthusiastic to continue the tradition of being outdoorsman or woman should I say!  A little over 2 years ago we purchased a pop-up camper together and have since taken it out on the open road as often as possible.  While I don’t think that I could have taken Grace camping at 6 weeks like my parents did, (we barely left the house at 6 weeks…) 3 months felt like a completely appropriate and comfortable time to take our first camping trip as a family.  So that’s exactly what we did!

Joined by my family we headed out to Jemez, New Mexico bright and early this past Saturday for the Memorial Day weekend.  We decided to camp in Jemez because it was the furthest location from the fires that are currently burning in the Southern part of the state.  In hindsight, I’m so glad we decided on Jemez because we heard that the air quality got pretty bad in town this past weekend and we were glad to get Gracie away from that!  Our camp sight was super cute and came equipped with a man-made campfire and picnic table!  We certainly managed to cram a lot into 3 days…

We set up camp ~


We played camping games ~


We enjoyed camping style breakfast and grilled ~


We cuddled our baby girls ~


We enjoyed the beautiful sunshine ~


We hunted toads and other insects ~


We roasted marshmallows and hunted for firewood ~


And we hiked the beautiful Jemez mountains ~


It was a pretty great weekend.  I look forward to many more. :)

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had such a great time.
    I'm not one of "those people" who would question you taking her camping. I'm glad that you plan on making it part of her life.
    Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She did so great. I'm not sure what people thought we were going to do with her in the woods... it's not like we went white water rafting, lol!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...