Saturday, July 7, 2012

Happy 4th of July Friends


I must admit that at first it did feel a little weird to celebrate the 4th of July on a Wednesday but we opted to make the best of it.  A few days before the 4th my mom called to let us know that my brother wanted to get together to light some fireworks for the kids so we agreed to join.  We were planning to spend the day at home but I’m so glad we decided to partake in the festivities!  Once I knew we had plans, I immediately ran out and put together a cute little 4th of July outfit for baby girl.  Her jean shorts ended up being a little too big but it wasn't anything a belt made of ribbon couldn't fix.  Dressing your kid in an adorable getup every holiday is, after all, one of the perks of being a new parent, right?!   


Because it was the middle of the week and we all had to work on Thursday, we wanted to keep it simple.  We decided to go the potluck route and put together an “All-American Hotdog Bar”!  It was so delicious and such a great idea.  We had all the fixings for traditional American hotdogs, chile and cheese coneys and Chicago dogs.  My auntie Sue made her delicious potato salad and we enjoyed some yummy pasta courtesy of Costco.  Mia, who is Gracie’s 8-month-old cousin, had a great time playing with baby girl.  You can just tell when they are together that Mia can’t wait until Grace is old enough to play, it’s so cute!


Grace did great with the fireworks.  We weren’t sure how she would react so we held her close when the light show began.  She was completely mesmerized by the flashes of light and stared in amazement for 30 minutes straight.  That is until the finale… my auntie was holding her when my brother lit the finale fireworks and I think we were all pretty shocked at how loud and bright they were.  They scared the poo out of Grace, she shot her hands straight out and let out the biggest cry.  We had to take her inside to cuddle for quite some time before she calmed down.  Let’s hope she remembers the first 30 minutes of the show and not the last 2.   


I hope you all had a great 4th with your families and I look forward to seeing everyone’s pictures!  Here are a few of the hotdog recipes we included in the hotdog bar.  The Coneys were my fav!


::Chile & Cheese Coney:: grilled beef hotdog topped with warm TexMex chili, melted cheddar cheese and chopped onions served in a soft, warm bakery bun.

::All-American Dog:: grilled beef hotdog topped with ketchup, yellow mustard, relish and chopped onions served in a soft, warm bakery bun.

::Chicago Dog:: grilled beef hotdog topped with pickle, relish, tomato, peppers, celery salt and mustard all served in a warm poppy seed bun.

Oh and on a side note – we officially have a thumb sucker…

6 comments:

  1. Oh my god. I love the ribbon belt. And I love that photo of the thumb-sucking. Gosh, she's so flippin cute.

    Glad you guys had a great holiday. But, yeah, it being smack-dab in the middle of the week SUCKED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right! There were no "drinks" to be had by this mama... work headaches are the worst! The thumb sucking is so darn cute it's hard to make myself pull that little thumb out of her mouth. ;)

    Hope you had a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great holiday! The holiday messed me all up. Thought Thursday was Monday, all day. :)
    I LOVE the thumb sucking picture!! Way too cute!
    No green chile hot dogs?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Everyone in my office was super grumpy on Thursday, which is usually the case on Mondays. The weekend couldn't come fast enough!

      Green chile dogs... you may be on to something. ;)

      Delete
  4. That thumb sucking photo needs to be blown up and framed.
    SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just might! Friday night was the first night my wife went out with friends in over a year and it also happen to be the night Grace decided to start sucking her thumb! I couldn't believe that G missed it but luckily she has been doing it non-stop since.

      It's just about the cutest thing I've ever seen!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...