Monday, August 27, 2012

Solids

Last December, when Georgia was around 6 months prego, she gave me the "as seen on TV" Baby Bullet baby food maker!  When she asked what I wanted for Christmas, I asked for the Baby Bullet, which should give you some indication of how excited I have been to make Grace baby food.  FINALLY the time has come... Woot!  I was literally counting the days to our 5-month check-up, which was 2 weeks ago, because I knew that following the appointment we were going to introduce Grace to solids for the first time. 


There is a ton of debate out in the blogosphere/Internet and in parenting books centered on how and when one should introduce a baby to solids.  Some believe that you have to wait until the baby is at least 6 months old; others believe that you can begin earlier but you must start with cereal and then there are parents who throw caution to the wind and break all the “rules”.  I guess we fall somewhere in between.  I wasn’t sure when exactly we would start feeding baby G solids, but the more I read up on it, the more I felt the time was near. 


According to my research, signs of readiness for solids (4 to 6 months) include:

- Baby can hold their head up unassisted
- Sits well in highchair/Bumbo
- Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex
- Makes chewing motions, imitates eating behaviors
- Birth weight has doubled
- Begins to show interest in food
- Can close mouth around a spoon
- Seems unsatisfied after 36-40oz of formula in a day
- Shows signs of teething


When Gracie began to display all of these signs we knew that it was “go time”!  So at 5 months, 1 week old, baby girl tried solids for the first time.  We started with pureed organic carrots; just a few spoons full and she loved it!  I’m talking L-O-V-E, people!  I know some of you may be asking yourself, carrots, really?  Our reason for trying carrots first was that my BF told us all about just how much her daughter (who is one month older than Grace) loved carrots, so we figured if little miss Olivia liked them maybe Gracie will too.  Our hypothesis proved correct and to-date carrots still seem to be her favorite.  We have since tried bananas, sweet potatoes, applesauce, sweet peas and we are currently on pears.  Here is a video of Grace trying carrots for the first time.  The first is a short clip because our doggies could see what we were doing from outside and started barking like a bunch of wild animals.  I think they wanted some carrots too. ;)


Carrots ~ take 2


Per the recommendation of our pediatrician, we are trying one food at a time for 3-4 days before going on to the next.  This seems to be common practice for most parents as a way to detect whether your kid has any allergies.  So far it doesn’t appear that baby girl is allergic to anything we’ve tried however she does get a little flush with fruit and is not a big fan of bananas.  And here we thought bananas would be her favorite… turns out she would rather have sweet peas.


I have yet to use the BB and make any homemade baby food because we’re still in the discovery phase of this whole process.  Once I have an idea of what she loves, likes and would rather not eat, I’ll roll up my sleeves and get started.  I really have no idea what I’m going to make or how to even make it so it’s a good thing we’re still in phase one, ha!  So, if any of you mamas out in blogland have homemade baby food recipes – please share!  I know there is still a lot I have to learn.

Grace has since tried lime, which oddly enough she really liked and even enjoyed a “meal” in a big girl highchair next to her cousin, Mia this past weekend!  She looks like such a little peanut next to Mia. 



Well, that’s about it on the food front for right now so in the spirit of first time solids – may I present our little green bean. ;)


8 comments:

  1. She looks MORE than ready ! She's eating like a pro right off the bat.
    Thanks for sharing. I forget how sweet these firsts are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K, I feel like nothing really changed for weeks and now she is changing everyday! Yesterday when I got home from work I seriously felt like she grew an inch. With her eating it's like she's a new baby, personality changes and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun time! I love introducing new foods and watching the darling faces they pull

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving it too! I've even found myself getting excited at work on days that I know we're going to introduce a new food to Grace when we get home. I've become one of "those" parents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet!!! We followed our pediatricians recommendation on feeding & introducing new food but our guys were very premature so we have that actual/adjusted age thing to contend with (we started at 6 months.) I made all of our boys' food too. I just used a blender or mixer. I steamed or roasted the veggies & then threw them in with a little water & puréed. I bought some jarred food when we were moving & realized the food I made was no where near as soupy as the jarred stuff but my boys ate it all well, so play with the consistency to see what's right

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry got cut off...
    See what consistency works for Gracie :)
    My boys favorite for a long time was butternut squash, they also loved them some green beans & still do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips! How did your boys like the homemade food? I've been hearing that when babies are fed store bought baby food and then switched to homemade, they don't like it as much. Just curious?

    Do you happen to have any recipes you would suggest? I'm open to trying anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boys didn't have jarred food before homemade so I'm not sure about that. When we were moving I was going to use the jarred stuff but it was so runny they wouldn't eat it, I ended up mixing it in with homemade food & they ate it fine.
      I didn't really use any recipes, just steam or roast veggies & stick them in the processor, you do have to add water or breast milk to get it too purée. I just did it to the consistency I thought was good for them.
      There is a website I referenced just for age requirements for certain foods but they do have recipes, it is babyfoodrecipes.com they have a fb page too :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...