Wednesday, September 26, 2012

CRASH

Like my mom always says, “Never drive faster than your guardian angels can fly”.  They sure were with Georgia and Gracie this morning.  First, Grace and Georgia are ok, thank God.  Having said that, we just experienced the scariest morning of our lives.  Georgia left the house an hour earlier than normal today because she had a work event.  Her mom was planning to meet her halfway to pick-up the baby while in route to Georgia’s work function.  From what G told me, the traffic approaching the freeway around 7:30am was horrific!  As she approached the light before the freeway, traffic quickly changed to stop and go and she caught the red.  When the light turned green she accelerated, pulling up behind an SUV.  She looked down at the passenger seat for 2 seconds to grab something and ::BAM:: – 3 car pile-up.



The impact was severe enough that the air bag was deployed.  This is the part that kills me.  Georgia couldn’t even tell me what happened next without crying.  She said that immediately following the collision and air bag release she was overcome with terror knowing Grace was in the backseat.  She jumped out of the car and open the rear passenger door to find Gracie securely in her car seat but shaken up and crying.  She unstrapped baby girl and held her close letting her know that everything was ok.  She checked her over, head-to-toe and when she looked back up at Gracie’s face she was smiling and just as happy as ever.  I think she knew her mommy needed a smile.


Gracie was checked out and was found to be perfectly fine, not a scratch but G wasn’t so lucky.  Her ankle was sprained pretty bad and cut, she was burned on the chest by the seatbelt and air bag and she has some cuts and scrapes on her legs and arms.  I’ve cleaned and bandaged her wounds and as of this afternoon she is just really sore.  She’s resting now and Gracie’s taking a nap so things seem to be settling down.


I discovered on FB today that if you’re in a moderate to severe car accident (even if the baby is not in the car) you have to replace your car seat.  I had never heard of this but after checking it out on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration government website, that is what they recommend.  So that’s what I’m doing now.  Shopping for new car seats, working things out with insurance, monitoring baby and taking care of the wife.  If you told me that this is how our day would unfold this morning – I wouldn’t have believed you. 

Thank the Lord for guardian angels.

19 comments:

  1. Yikes!!! I'm so glad that everyone is ok! Make sure G rests up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kirsten. She's been taking it easy all afternoon. She seems to be doing better. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, when I saw your title I got worried. So glad everyone is safe... especially baby girl. Poor G... that ankle does not look fun -- poor thing. Glad Guardian Angels were watching over your family this morning. Hope G recovers quickly!!!
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shanna. When G called to tell me this morning I had soaking wet hair but somehow got out the door in minutes. Finding out that Grace was ok was the biggest relief of my life. We need to slow down in every aspect of our lives... Lesson learned.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh !! OH MY GOSH !!!! I'm so glad that everyone is ok. SO SO glad.
    If this was her way of getting out of a work function.....geesh....:)
    I hope everyone heals !
    Do you get a new car out of this ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this was an attempt to get out of work - she's dead meat, lol! We're thinking that the Jeep is going to end up being a total loss but we won't know until Monday. If it is she will need to get a new vehicle. Normally that would be semi-exciting, except in our case G was scheduled to make her FINAL Jeep payment in December. She was just 3 short months away from paying off her loan and applying that money to other (much more fun) things. :(

      While it sucks that she now has to completely start over with a new loan, we're just thankful that our little gal is ok.

      Delete
  4. I think I held my breath the entire time I was reading your entry. I'm so glad everyone is okay. This is one of my greatest fears! Also thanks for the car seat information. I guess it makes sense but I never would have though to replace the car seat after an accident. I hope everyone is feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting in a wreck with Grace was always a fear of mine too. Now that it's happened I just hope it never happens again! We're all carpooling to work today and I don't plan to exceed 30mph...

      Delete
  5. I am so happy to hear that they're both ok. Thank God for guardian angels indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Our GA's have saved the day more than a few times. :)

      Thanks, Ashleigh

      Delete
  6. Oh wow ... that is definitely the scariest!! I'm so very glad your family is okay. The pictures of the car made my heart stop a little. I had heard that about the car seats and I say definitely better safe than sorry!! Take care of your beautiful wife and baby girl. Hugs from all of us in NorCal! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow ... that is definitely the scariest!! I'm so very glad your family is okay. The pictures of the car made my heart stop a little. I had heard that about the car seats and I say definitely better safe than sorry!! Take care of your beautiful wife and baby girl. Hugs from all of us in NorCal! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you L. We ended up taking the cover off the car seat to find the hard plastic bent and once we locked the car seat back into the base this morning it made a weird clicking noise. Just looking at it you would think it was perfectly fine. I guess those NHTSA people know what they're talking about.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad they're safe! And yes, always replace the car seat, even if you can't see the damage! So scary, for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Isa. We ended up taking the cover off the car seat and there was some visible damage. Gracie's new (and way cooler) car seat should get here on Monday!

      Delete
  9. I so glad everyone is alright!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...