Friday, November 16, 2012

Helicopter Mom


As I type this post my mom is watching Gracie, our niece Mia and nephews, Devin and OC for the day.  Devin (who is 6 years old) has been counting down the days to today because he loves spending time with the girls and he really is such a loving cousin. But that's not what I'm here to write about, I digress.  As I packed Gracie’s diaper bag last night I realized that I was kind of nervous.  I’m not nervous that my mom is watching baby because with 3 kids and 4 grandchildren, she clearly knows what she’s doing.  I think I’m nervous because this is Gracie’s first play date with her cousins without me or Georgia being there.

In my nervousness I called my mom 3 times last night.  The first call was to tell her that even though Mia and Grace use the same brand of bottle, she needs to make sure she doesn’t give Grace Mia’s bottle because the nipples are different… to which my mom replied, “Honey, Mia doesn’t drink from a bottle anymore so there’s no way for me to confuse them”.  Strike one.  My second call was to remind my mom that I prefer Grace eat organic baby food so I would pack some for her.  Mom’s response, “Honey, I have a ton of baby food that is going to go to waste but ok, send her with food” (said in an understanding and sweet voice).  Strike two.  My third call was to let my mom know that I was packing yogurt bites for snack time because the baby still doesn’t have teeth and could choke on puffs.  HELLOOOO helicopter mama!  By this point I was annoying even myself.  Strike three, I’m out.

I think that if Grace were a daycare baby I would be much less worried about her choking, getting sick, getting bit by another kiddo, falling, bumping her head… you know – all the stuff that comes along with daycare and multiple children in one place.

So… after spending the majority of last night and this morning stressing, I decided that I would chill the F-out and look at this as a good thing.  There are going to be cuts and bruises over the years and yes, Grace may very well get bitten by a cousin today but guess what – so did the rest of us and we survived.  It’s good for her to get outside in the sun and play and get dirty and wrestle with her cousins.  It’s good for her to be around chaos once and awhile and join in the craziness.  And it’s also ok for the babe to eat some good old fashion Gerber baby food and puffs every now and then.

Well, maybe not the puffs. I can't throw everything out the window.  Ha! 

 

8 comments:

  1. I think I can hear your propellors slowing down from here! lol Right on sister!! There's so much we're going to be worrying about over the next 50 or so years...we gotta pick the most important ones. Or else we'll be filled with ulcers by the time we're 40.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that. I'm actually surprised I haven't given myself an ulcer already, lol. I tend to stress about the most ridiculous things... but I'm working on it. ;)

      Delete
  2. I could have written the same post. I will totally stress myself out (and annoy myself too) whenever someone else is watching the girls. I try to remind myself that my babies will still eat, get their diapers changed and fall asleep. While it may not be the way that I would do it (ie. the best way!), it will get done and everyone will be ok! Thanks for this post. It makes me feel better knowing that I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely not alone when it comes to mommy stress! Even though it's only been 8 months I've grown so comfortable with our routine, which is what causes me to freak a bit when it changes. The good news is that Grace ended up having a great day and was perfectly fine when we picked her up. I worried for nothing!

      Delete
  3. This was such a cute post. I was the same way when we left Peyton with Kim's mom for the first time and her cousin was there. I also noticed that Gracie and Peyton share not only birthdays but the same fashion sense! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do! Adorable babies think alike. ;)

      Delete
  4. Your mom ROCKS !
    I was a first time mom once...I remember these same feelings and fears.
    I am absolutely impressed at how quickly you came around.
    I hope you did something fun with your time alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure does!! Yesterday was a baby step in the right direction, haha. I'm sure I'll become more laid back and comfortable with Gracie doing things outside our normal routine as she gets older.

      You want to know what I did with my free time? I worked 6 hours and then came home and painted my toenails. LOL!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...