Sunday, November 25, 2012

Our Day of Thanks


And what a wonderful day it was!  I told G as we were leaving my brother’s house around Gracie’s bedtime that this was the absolute best Thanksgiving I’ve ever experienced.  Georgia happily agreed. :)


Our day started with some final food prep at home as we waited for Georgia’s parents to join us.  We were tasked with making the turkey, rolls, green bean stuffed Portobello mushrooms and pumpkin spice cupcakes (you must try these cupcakes, I’ll share the recipe in just a bit).  Ma and pop-in-law brought the green and red chile, mashed potatoes and dessert yams.  To say that we over cooked and made a feast would be an understatement!  Everything was delicious, even baby girl thought so.  She nibbled on mashed potatoes for the first time and seemed to like them.


Following our meal we were all stuffed so we lounged for a bit before heading to my brother’s house to watch the end of the Cowboy game and eat again... This is where Gracie showed us the first of two new tricks she had up her sleeve this weekend!  My brother is in the process of completing an addition to his home so the extended living room is just tile right now.  The girls considered this the bees’ knees and spent the evening speed racing around the living room in their walkers.  At one point, Gracie strolled up to her cousin Devin, began waving her hand at him and said, “hi”.  Devin said hi back not thinking anything of it but everyone else squealed with excitement.  This was Gracie’s first “hi” and I’m sad that I missed it but she has since done it several times for mama, so I’m thankful for that. :)      

This is our nephew and my godson, Devin.  Isn’t he just precious?!
Nani and her little girlies.
Rudy claimed to be smiling in this picture, umm… I don’t think so. ;)
Go speed racers, GO!!
Gracie’s second trick of the Thanksgiving break was to pull up to a standing position all on her own!  She did it for the first time while I was out running a quick errand, but luckily she did it again just hours later.  Georgia said that baby girl was playing with her toys in the living room in a sitting position when G stepped away to wash her hands in the kitchen.  When she turned back around Grace was standing up just looking at her.  Georgia was pretty shocked, lol!


In other weekend news (it’s been a busy couple of days) we took professional holiday pictures yesterday.  The pictures were taken by one of my sorority sisters, Lindsey who is a freelance photographer and I am so excited to see how they came out.  She used some adorable Christmas props and took a few shots of Grace in a basket in a big open field that I just know I am going to love, love, love.  We should have the pictures in about a week, ekkkk!

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I also hope you know how thankful I am for you, my blog friends!  I am thankful for your sweet comments, your advice and the way in which your posts inspire me everyday.  Thank you!

As promised, here is a picture I took of the delicious cupcakes I made for Thanksgiving as well as the recipe.  If you give it a go – be sure to tell me how they came out.  


~ Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes ~

Cupcake Ingredients: 1 cup flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp ground ginger, ½ tsp allspice, ½ tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, kosher salt, 1 stick softened butter, ½ cup sugar, ½ cup pure pumpkin puree, 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract, 2 eggs

Frosting Ingredients: 1 (8oz) block fat free cream cheese, 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, 2 cups powdered sugar, chopped pecans for topping

Cupcake How To: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Fill 12-cup muffin pan with liners.  In a bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and ¼ tsp salt.

In a separate bowl, mix butter and sugar.  Beat with a hand-held mixer for 3 minutes.  Add pumpkin puree and vanilla extract.  Beat in eggs and incorporate dry mixture into the wet mixture until completely combined.

Fill each cupcake liner ¾ of the way full.  Bake until the tops turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean (roughly 20 minutes).  Remove cupcakes from oven and cool completely before frosting.

Frosting How To: Beat cream cheese, butter, maple syrup and salt in a large bowl until creamy.  Gradually add powdered sugar until thoroughly combined.

Top cupcakes with frosting and pecans.  Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Must try those cupcakes!!! I'm so glad to hear you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I love her little Thanksgiving bib. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You really do need to try the cupcakes. I don't want to brag but they were gooood!

      It sounds like you all had a great 1st Thanksgiving too!

      Delete
  2. that's so awesome! go grace!! what a big girl ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, just wait... The boys are going to be climbing up on everything very soon! Boys usually climb and stand at an earlier age so get ready. :)

      Delete
  3. Can't WAIT to see the final pictures.
    Look at the determination in that little face pulling herself up.

    Thanksgiving looks delicious. mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K, I can't wait to see how they turned out! I love this video because you can see how hard she's trying. Hehe ;)

      I hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  4. This video made me tear up. Gracie is one lucky girl to have Mommas who are so supportive and proud of her. Truly, I could tell so much about your parenting from this video and it made my heart so happy.
    -Abby Soto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sweet of you to say. Thank you, Abby.

      Delete
  5. She is so stinkin' cute! I love the video, mostly because of you! You made me giggle the whole time! Way to be a proud and encouraging mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh... When I have to hear myself on video I cringe, lol! That voice of mine sure can carry! I was so proud of her!

      Thanks, Cis. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...