Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Crafting: DIY Cookie Cutter Ornaments

Every Christmas I try to do some sort of fun baking or crafting project and I’ve even been known to trap G into helping me a time or two.  Last year, we began the holiday season by making jars of Christmas Cookie Mix for our families and they LOVED them!  The only downside to that project was the cost of the jars but from the feedback we received, the recipe was yummy and it seemed to be totally worth the money.  This year, I wanted to do something a little more on the crafting side and I really wanted to make it a project that would commemorate Gracie’s first Christmas as a part of our family.


As I posted a few weeks ago, we recently took family pictures for the first time as a family of three and there were so many adorable pictures captured of the babe that I knew this needed to be a part of my project!  This is when it dawned on me – I would make Christmas ornaments elementary school style.  Years ago, I made something very similar in the 3rd grade (I think) and it was easy peasy.  Below are the instructions and supplies needed to make your very own cookie cutter ornaments.  I ended up making 7 in a little over an hour for very little cost.  If you try this Christmas DIY project, be sure to leave a link in the comments so I can see how yours turned out!  Happy Christmas crafting. :)

What you’ll need:


Aluminum cookie cutters ~ Elmer’s tacky glue ~ Glue stick ~ Scissors ~ Cardstock paper ~ Wallet sized prints of the pictures you plan to use ~ Colored elastic string or thin ribbon ~ a sewing needle ~ Colored beads (optional)

What to do:


Use selected cookie cutters to choose which picture fits best in each cutter.


Trace each picture using the cookie cutter you have paired with the photo; cut out.  *If your picture doesn’t fit exactly in the cutters shape, glue the picture to a piece of cardstock paper using a glue stick, trace the picture on cardstock; cut out.


Dab Elmer’s tacky glue along the cookie cutter’s thicker edge.  Press your photo in place on the cutter and set aside to dry.  Check ornament after a few minutes to see if you need to press down on your photo again to ensure it is adhering to the cookie cutter.


Once glue has dried, use your needle to poke a small hole in the top of your cookie cutter’s paper/photo backing.  Thread your ribbon or elastic string through the hole and wrap ribbon around the top of the cutter tying in a knot.  To add a little color, thread assorted beads onto the tied string on top of your ornament and tie a second knot to secure beading before tying your final knot for hanging.   


And that’s it!  You now have adorable Christmas ornaments commemorating a special moment in your life.  

What fun Christmas crafting projects do you have planned for the holiday?  Do you have a favorite Christmas ornament or decoration your look forward to unpacking every year?  I would love to hear all about it!  Merry Christmas. :)

6 comments:

  1. Love them ! You crafty Martha Stewart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks K! I wish I was Martha. ;)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I am totally doing Christmas crafts too, this one is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias! What are you working on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on putting her 10 favorite things in an ornament and decorating it. I will get to the project and maybe post pictures after the fact! :p

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...