Sunday, December 30, 2012

Gracie's First Christmas

I am sitting here under the glow of our Christmas tree, looking over pictures of Gracie’s first Christmas and I am feeling, in a word, blessed.  Blessed to have the family that we have.  Blessed to have celebrated a truly magical Christmas and blessed to be the mama to one very silly and sweet little girl.  I feel as though the holiday season took forever to get here and yet it has come and gone in a flash. Time flies when you’re having fun.  Well, it was mostly fun… 

Our Christmas got off to a bit of a rough start.  On Saturday, I came down with the worst cold and proceeded to lose my voice and cough until my throat felt like it was going to fall out for 4 straight days!  I got sick the night before our family began arriving, which made for a rough time doing final housework.  Thankfully my wife is a trooper and picked up my slack.   

We always begin our Christmas Eve at my great grandparents home and this year our visit was extra special.  My grandma is 95 years old and my grandpa is 93.  Because of their age they both decided that this would be the last year they would host Christmas Eve and it was Gracie’s first holiday there.  This made our evening very bittersweet.  Grace fell asleep during the 45-minute drive over and woke up grumpier than ever.  Her grumpiness carried into the evening and she was not at all happy about it (and neither were her mamas).  She refused to smile for most pictures, fussed a whole lot and didn’t want to be held.  Thankfully, she was over it by the time we arrived at Georgia’s parent’s house later in the evening.

To say that Grace was spoiled by her grandparents would be an understatement.  She loved her presents but especially LOVED the wrapping paper.  Now, because I’m a photo junkie and I took something like 200 pictures, it’s just easier to tell the story of Gracie’s first Christmas using photos.  So, without further ado, may I present our 2012 Holiday photomontage!
  
G’s family exchanges gifts on Christmas Eve, which meant that baby girl had two days of wrapping paper fun.  One of the gifts that brought even Georgia to tears came from Gracie’s uncles.  They gave her the Hallmark recordable storybook, Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.  Dean and Chris took turns narrating the story so that Gracie can hear their voices anytime she wants even though they live so far away, tear.  Baby girl got a ton of fun toys but I think the gigantic Hello Kitty she got from grandma and grandpa may have been her favorite. 


On Christmas morning, Grace gave her moms the gift of sleeping in until almost 9am.  It was marvelous!  Me and G decided a few weeks ago that we would keep our gifts to Grace minimal knowing full well that she would get more than enough stuff from family and friends.  Growing up, my siblings and I always received one big gift from Santa that was not wrapped and this is a tradition we wanted to continue with Grace.  About a month ago, G came across a coupon discounting a convertible wagon so that ended up being her gift from Santa.  She also got some puzzles, books and blocks from us.


After opening our gifts we headed over to my mom’s house in our pajamas for her annual Christmas morning brunch.  On Christmas Eve, we gave our niece Mia pajamas that matched the ones Grace wore and the two of them looked adorable together!  My brother and sister-in-law gave baby girl the most heartfelt gift imaginable, which once again made me cry.  They named a star that was discovered on her birthday after her through the International Star Registry.  As a part of the gift, she received a plaque with the star’s new name, a map with the coordinates for finding the star and information on the star registry.  How cool is that?!


The rest of our day was spent eating, visiting, opening more presents and enjoying each other’s company.  Even with a cold, this was the best Christmas I’ve ever experienced and I imagine they will just keep getting better.  I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas as well and from my family to yours – Happy New Year!

8 comments:

  1. I have an older brother who lives in Boston and he does not get to see the boys nearly as much as he would like. I was surprised when each of the boys received a recordable storybook from their Uncle. And of course as soon as I opened it I started to cry. Those recordable storybooks are the best invention EVER!! I'm sure you can agree. It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas!! I wish your family a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, best gift ever! I would have never thought to get a recordable book for Grace but from a long-distance uncle, it's perfect. I'm sure the boys love hearing their uncle's voice in their books as I'm sure Gracie will too. :)

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Love the video! Just wait until next Christmas when she is running in there and unwrapping all her presents AND everyone else's ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I can't wait for that!

      Delete
  3. What an awesome Christmas you all had! My nephew also got a wagon (from my parents) and a recordable story book- A Charlie Brown Christmas- read by me. Gracie will love both, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wagons seem to be the popular gift this year! More than a few of my friends gifted their little ones with wagons this Christmas. I'm sure your nephew is going to LOVE his new book. I know we love ours. :)

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. Looks like an amazing Christmas! Love the video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsten. It was super busy but lots of fun. I will say that I'm glad it's over, lol!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...