Monday, January 21, 2013

1st Birthday Wish Box


My first crafting project for Gracie’s birthday party is officially finished and I’m so happy with the way it came out!  For weeks now I’ve been tossing around ideas for commemorating baby girl's first birthday.  I considered making a time capsule but decided against that idea when several friends went the time capsule route.  I also thought about writing the first of many letters that Grace could one day read but came to the realization that I already do that… it’s called More Than Words, maybe you’ve heard of it, hehe. ;) 

It wasn’t until a few weekends ago, as I was cleaning out our guestroom closet, that the idea of a “Wish Box” came to mind.  I’ve kept memory boxes since High School for all sorts of reasons.  I have several memory boxes commemorating important times in my life from travel to my wedding and I look through them any time I want to relive those special moments.  As I was looking through a few of my favorites it dawned on me that a wish box would be the perfect way to commemorate our little gals first birthday!


The plan for the Wish Box is to create cards that say something like, “my wish for Grace is…” and have them next to the box at her birthday party.  Once all of our family and friends have had the opportunity to write their special wishes for Grace, we’re going to pack her wishes, a little album of pictures and favors from the party along with a few special items from Georgia and I before sealing it up! 

Grace will be given her Wish Box on her 18th birthday and my hope is that she'll enjoy reading all of her special little wishes as much as I enjoyed making the box!  

I used Mod Podge to seal the photos once I finished all four sides.  One of the best things about this craft was that it was super inexpensive to make.  All you'll need is a box, pictures, Mod Podge, stickers/paint (optional), a sponge brush and scissors.  Below is a collage showing each side.  One of my favorite pictures is on side #1, in the bottom right corner.  It's a picture of Gracie stretching at one of her hearing tests when she was just a few months old.  Look at her holding that birthday cake like a big girl, ha!  


If you decide to make a Wish Box for your little one (which I think you should!), grab a box of tissue.  Looking through a year of pictures will result in tears.  Happy tears – but tears all the same.

Did you do anything special for your baby's first birthday?  
I would love to hear all about it!  
 

11 comments:

  1. That's an awesome idea! We are already keeping a 'first year' memory box. I got a trunk looking box from Hobby Lobby and we have been filling it up. I have been working on a first year scrapbook as well, which will go inside of it. We have her Halloween costume and all the pictures and videos we took of her this year on flash drives. That's 2 32GB flash drives, BTW! :P

    For her first birthday, I have decided to ask everyone to write her a letter. I have a journal that I have been keeping handwritten letters to her in, from me. I am going to pass that around the family and to those who love her and have them all write her a letter for her first birthday. I am excited to make this a yearly thing, but for now, its just a first birthday thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those ideas! I'm slacking on the Baby's First Scrapbook... as in, I have yet to start it. I think Peyton will love reading her letters from family!

      Delete
    2. LOL, well, I didn't say I was getting very far. I am still in month 7 of my pregnancy!

      Delete
  2. What a FABULOUS idea ! She's going to love this one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K! I hope she loves it. The trick will be making sure she doesn't open it before her 18th birthday. I'll also need to keep myself from opening it, haha. ;)

      Delete
  3. I think this is a wonderful idea. I am trying to toy around similar ideas. I will be sure to put this in my back pocket. I swear you are super Mom! You do so many awesome things for your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can't wait to see what you all decide to do! You're so sweet to call me super mom but really, I totally love doing these little activities. Some people like to hike or play golf with their free time -- I like to craft and take on DIY challenges, lol!

      My wife thinks I'm crazy with all the little projects I have going on at any given time. I too think she's nuts to spend all of her free time doing super geek computer stuff. ;)

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful idea, Kristen. I have to admit that I'm definitely going to "steal" it when we have a little one of our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Steal" anything and everything you wish! I would love to see a fellow blogging mama's creation. :)

      Delete
  5. Love love love this idea! I know Noah's 1 year birthday is a long way away but this is a must use idea! You did an amazing job with the box! Gracie is going to love you two for this when she's all grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! Before you know it you all will be planning Noah's party! It's amazing how fast it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...