Friday, January 25, 2013

Baby Led Weaning: a typical evening in the Roybal house

Our adventures in baby led weaning continue.  The babe is now completely over purées, which is somewhat of a bummer because I still have a freezer full of homemade, organic baby food.  The list of foods Grace has tried continues to grow and while she has done great so far, G is still convinced she is going to choke at every meal!  When we eat dinner she keeps one eye on her food and the other on Grace at all times.  When the babe makes the slightest of sounds, G is ready to go into full-on heimlich mode, haha!  With the 5 teeth Gracie now has, she eats like a champ.  Still, It’s pretty funny to watch G freak out about it.  I plan to write a post about the babe’s new diet (breakfast, lunch and dinner) soon, but I need to talk to my mom-in-law first.  To be honest, I’m not really sure what all she has for lunch during the week.


In other food related news, my New Year’s resolution is kicking me in the ass… In the New Year, Georgia and I decided that we were going to make every effort to cook dinner on weekdays and eat at home as often as possible.  Now that Grace is eating what we eat, we both agreed that now more than ever, it’s important that we know what our little babe is consuming and what better way to do this than cook the food ourselves.  We also agreed that starting now, we’re setting the eating habits she will carry with her for the rest of her life, so preparing healthy meals as a family and eating at home together needs to be the norm. 

So far we are keeping up our end of the deal.  Georgia and I have only had weekday take-out twice since January first.  With that being said – cooking dinner at home every.single.night is HARD WORK!  While it can be fun, it is also time consuming and often a tiring process.  Here’s what our typical evening looks like…

5:30pm - 6:00pm: Georgia or I will pick up baby, depending on the day.

*Bring in the doggies and feed them dinner.*

6:30pm - 7:00pm: While one of us changes Grace and puts her in PJ’s, the other starts dinner.

*Throw in a load of laundry.*

7:00pm: Grace has an “appetizer” while we finish cooking.  If the babe doesn’t get something in her tummy by 7pm she is not a happy camper… this means we usually have to keep her busy with a little fruit, black olives or peas and carrots (these are her favorite pre-dinner snacks) while we finish cooking.

7:15pm - 7:30pm: This is the time we typically sit to eat dinner together.  Grace will eat with us for 15 minutes or so before she is ready to get out of her highchair and play!

7:30pm - 8:00pm: The mamas finish their food while Grace plays across the way in the living room or RUNS laps like a maniac in her walker around the kitchen.

8:00pm - 8:30pm: Georgia clears the table while making Gracie’s bottles for bedtime/breakfast, while I mop up the area where Grace ate; cleaning her highchair, the wall and whatever else is covered in food.  I LOVE the theory behind Baby Led Weaning but it is M-E-S-S-Y!

*Pop laundry in dryer and change Gracie’s diaper for bed.*

8:30pm - 9:00pm: While I pick baby girl’s outfit for the next day and finish cleaning up, Georgia gives Grace her bedtime bottle and puts her to bed.

9:15pm: Me and the wife reunite in the living room (exhausted) and watch television while checking emails and voicemails preparing for the day ahead.  This is usually the only time I have to blog at home, which is probably the reason I do most of my posting at work during lunch... 

10:30pm: We then climb into bed, watch 1-2 episodes of Friends and pass out ready to wake the next morning and do it all again… :)

It’s amazing all that you can do in just 4 hours time 
and as hectic as our new life with the babe is, we wouldn’t change it for the world. 

This new little life of ours often reminds me of one of my favorite quotes…

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
~Anonymous

9 comments:

  1. That is one busy schedule! Have you thought about crock pot meals? You can safely leave a crock pot cooking on low heat while you're at work. Then, when you arrive home, no cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Crock Pot cooking! I just actually made Frito Pie the other day but I need to do it more often. Have any recipes you'd like to share?! I'm always game to try new ones. :)

      Delete
  2. I laughed out loud when I read that G is ready to "go into full heimlich mode"! That is too funny! I totally agree with the fact that you are setting her eating habits now. Its great that you are being proactive and getting her started in the right direction now instead of trying to change things later. Les and I will need to do some overhauling of our eating habits soon too! Oh and Love the quote! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Les still have some time to eat whatever you want so live it up, lol! Grace didn't become aware of our food until around month 8.

      We still cheat every now and then... Today we had pizza for lunch and let baby chew on a crust. ;)

      Delete
  3. Nice job !
    3 words. Grocery lists. Menus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so doing that going forward. Sundays are usually the day we do laundry and I was just telling G that we need to add meal prep to the Sunday to-do list!!

      Delete
  4. sounds like a great goal and great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim and I have been alternating puree during the day and 'food' for dinner. Peyton seems to enjoy it, but I am pretty sure that puree is out the door sooner than I would like! I enjoy feeding her!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...