Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Making associations

The things Grace has begun to understand totally amaze me.  In just the past couple of weeks, I’ve watched her begin to make associations that she’s never made before.  The other day I was sitting on the couch and Grace crawled over to visit.  I asked her, “where’s your ducky”?  She turned around to scan the living room floor, which was COVERED in toys and pointed to her duck.  She crawled over, grabbed it and turned to show me.  I was so proud of her!  She also recognizes when she is doing something she’s not supposed to do.  When she is heading over to our potted plants or trying to climb onto the coffee table, we’ll tell her, “Gracie, I see you”, at which point she’ll stop what she’s doing to give us the most mischievous grin she can muster.  I think the thing that has been the most surprising to me is that while I’ve assumed she doesn’t know what something is because she can’t say the word like “duck” for example, that’s not the case.  She may not be able to say some of these things but she certainly knows what they are.

There are so many new words the babe completely understands and has even begun trying to verbalize.  If you ask her, “do you want to read a book” she goes nuts and b-lines for the nearest book she sees.  When you ask, “where’s your ball?”, she will slowly say, “bah” before fetching her ball.  The same can be said for the dogs (aka, dah) and she knows they are in the garage so that’s where she points anytime the doggies are mentioned.  She can also identify her dolls, her play phone, which she holds up to her head for pretend conversations and her sippy cup to name a few.

Last week as we were all sitting on our bed I told Grace, “this is a nose” as I pointed to my nose.  We then proceeded to show her where her nose was and where mommy’s nose was.  That’s literally all it took for her to identify the body part.  Now, when I ask Grace, “where’s my nose”, she reaches out and touches my nose!  She has also learned to hold up her pointer finger when you ask how old she is!  We of course know that she has no idea what it means to be a year old or that holding up her one finger signifies being a year, but the fact that she learned to do it so quickly, has remembered how to do it, recognizes the instruction and responds to our question, well that’s quite impressive if you ask me. :)

I don’t know if this is standard development for an eleven month old but it certainly seems advanced to her mamas (as well as Gracie’s pediatrician)!  Every day she learns something new and it’s just so amazing to watch.

My little smarty pants!

12 comments:

  1. I mean, clearly she is a genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching them learn!!! More so than watching them get bigger & bigger, lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that's the hard part! Packing the clothes Grace has outgrown every couple of months breaks my heart. I can't imagine what it's like to do that x 3!

      Delete
  3. Smart AND cute. She's got it goin on !

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have two very smart girls! Peyton is pointing with her index finger too when you ask her how old she is! She amazed me the other day when I asked her to bring me her ball and she brought it to me. It's just awesome. She also knows when she is doing something wrong.

    I printed out her invitations and laid them on the couch the other day so I could run to the rest room. When I came back she was sitting on the floor in front of the couch and had the stack of invitations on her lap, wrinkled. When I walked into the livingroom and said, "Peyton Shea." She looked up all startled and innocent and held up one of the invitations to give it to me.

    It was just too cute for me to be annoyed!

    One more week!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just amazing? I feel like development is happening at such a rapid rate these days! Yay for one more week. :)

      Delete
  5. Clever and oh so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a good blogger, Kristin. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...