Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Teething is torture…

For both the babe and for her mamas!  Georgia and I have been so lucky when it has come to Gracie’s teething.  Back in November we had no idea she had even begun teething until one day two teeth showed up out of nowhere.  Since then we’ve been able to manage her teething without medicine or anything at all for that matter because she’s handled it like a champ.  Well, that was then and this is now.  It appears that our luck has run out. :(


Gracie’s change in temperament began about two weeks ago when we noticed that it was getting more difficult to put her down at night.  She was much fussier in the evenings than ever before and was not acting like herself at all.  G’s mom let us know that for the past couple of days Grace seemed more agitated in the late afternoons and had begun pulling at her ears quite a bit as well as skipping her mid-day bottle and often her second nap.  We feared that the babe was experiencing her first ear infection so following an evening of excessive crying we made an after hours visit to our pediatrician’s office to check things out.  Thankfully Gracie’s ears were just fine and her pulling of the ears and screaming were simply a result of teething.  We were told to give her baby Tylenol and freeze a few wet washcloths for her to chomp on.  The Tylenol helped a great deal but the washcloths were a no go.  She looked at me like I was crazy when I tried to get her to chew on one, haha.



The one good thing that came out of our evening doc appointment was that we got to weigh Grace for the first time in months.  20 pounds, 9 ounces and growing!

I don’t know why but I always feel guilty anytime I have to give baby girl Tylenol.  Every parent is different but for me, going the medicine route makes me feel like I’m drugging my kid as apposed to finding other means of relief.  I know that must sound crazy considering the fact that baby Tylenol is perfectly safe when used in moderation, but for whatever reason I still feel bad doing it.  For Valentines Day Gracie’s gift from her mamas was an amber necklace, which is supposed to help with teething.  According to the information we received with her necklace, the effect of amber on the human body has been described as among the most powerful and versatile “healing stones”.  The etheric oils, which are released through the body’s warmth, have a soothing effect on babies and children’s teething pains.  Amber is also valued for its relief of allergies, rashes, eczema and arthritis!


Amber was a suggested remedy for Gracie’s teething by her NICU nurse who we still keep in contact with as well as my friend who is a pediatric nurse and a few of my fellow blogging mamas.  I figure that if this many educated women believe in it, it must work!  I hope so anyway.  She’s been wearing her necklace 24/7 for about a week now so I’m ready for those magical powers to kick in at any time. ;)


My mom came over this weekend to check on Grace and filled us in on a little teething remedy she used when I was a baby.  She brought us smoke ribs for lunch (YUM) and when we were finished with a few she told us to give one of the bones to Grace to chew on.  Both G and I looked at her perplexed at which point I replied, “Mom, she’s not a dog”!  My mom urged that we just do it, so we did and guess what?  Grace LOVED it!  She chewed on two bones that I had cleaned and you could just see the relief she felt as she went to work on those bones.  Thanks ma!

To add insult to injury, I pretty much gave my precious teething baby food poisoning yesterday, which made her spill her cookies twice.  It was heartbreaking.  For lunch I served Grace some lean turkey meat I purchased less than two weeks ago and a cheese stick.  She chowed down and when she was almost finished I snagged a piece of her turkey only to discover that it was sour and had clearly begun to go bad.  Unfortunately we realized this too late and the damage was done.  She got sick twice and ended up sleeping with us for fear that she would get sick in her crib and possibly choke.  G is home with her today and she is perfectly fine now that it is all out of her system.


Now does that sound like a fun-filled weekend or what?!  If any of you have teething remedies or helpful tips I would love to hear them.  I’m out of ideas and I fear we are just getting started with this teething stuff.       

15 comments:

  1. Teething suuuuuuuuuuuucks. For Isa, she would get one tooth every year or so. At least it felt like it. Seriously had like 2 teeth when she was 18 months. Poor kid. Maya was a baby dracula and got her fangs first. lol Fit her personality for sure.

    We couldn't have survived without Humphrey's teething tablets. They're natural and more of a calming agent rather than a numbing one.

    My mom loves the whole bone gnawing thing too. Must be a generational thing. lol

    Maybe when she's teething you could raise one side of her mattress so the fluid doesn't pool in her ears. (just a couple of inches) And instead of freezing a washcloth just rub her gums with a dry one.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace is becoming a baby Dracula too! She's currently working out her 8th tooth!! Thanks for the tip on Humphrey's, I've been told those help a lot. I've never heard of raising the mattress but I also don't know if that would work with Grace... She sleeps like a wild child! She's all over her crib, lol!

      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Bless that sweet baby.
    When my older son was teething his favorite thing to chew on was carrots...the big ones. We'd wash and peel them of course but he would chop away on them.
    Hope she's feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bought some carrots yesterday so I can't wait to try them out. :)

      Delete
  3. That top picture is priceless. I feel like Grace is saying, "Okay. Listen up folks. This stopped being fun about 30 seconds ago. No make that 3 hours ago." I have heard good things about the Amber necklaces so I will be interested to see what you think in the long run. Good Luck Mommas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I felt bad taking her picture while she was crying but to be honest, we see that face quite a bit these day so I may as well document it, right? ;)

      I still have high hopes for her necklace. I think I just need to be patient. It has only been a week after all...

      Delete
  4. I was going to suggest the rib bone! My grandmother used to give all us grandchildren rib bones to chew on, lol. Your mom must be one of THOSE smart women. Little Monster did not take well to the frozen washcloth either, but an alternative that has worked well for us is to give Gracie a frozen waffle to knaw on. It is the same effect as the washcloth but more appealing because it IS food. Frozen waffles are fully cooked (just frozen) so no worry about that and even if it does become a bit of a gooey mess near the end, the relief for baby is worth it. I get what you are saying about the Tylenol...I hate to give Little Monster anything, but in the past 3 years I have learned to look at it like if I have a headache I usually will take some aspirin because it is painful so why deny him the same pain relief just because he is little? But if you are really set on going the all natural route you can try Hyland's Teething Tablets...they are natural and dissolve easy in baby's mouth for instant relief, but be careful of how often you offer them because too much makes their little mouths go totally numb. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I never hear about this rib bone stuff before? Ha! Just goes to show, trust your mother! I love the frozen waffle idea and we actually have some in the freezer.

      I've come to the same conclusion with the Tylenol and definitely give it to her when she seems to be in pain... Even though it makes me feel guilty.

      Delete
  5. I have heard awesome things about Amber necklaces too, I am thinking of getting one for Peyton. I am curious to see how you think it works! We use Hyland's Teething Tablets with Peyton and they seem to work. She thinks they are 'candy' and we call it that so she takes them! But, they dissolve in her mouth instantaneously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just picked up some Hyland's tablets the other day. I thought I was supposed to smash up the tablet and rub it on her gums but she was not a fan of that... I'll have to try just giving her a whole one to suck on. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
    2. I've never smashed them up before. And, I don't venture my fingers in her mouth if I can help it! So, I just say, "Peyton, you want your candy?" She sees the tiny white pills and sticks her tongue out. I usually try to get the pill under her tongue, it dissolved quicker, but I've been using them since Peyton was 3 months old and she's never been at risk for choking or anything. They are temporary relief anyway.

      Delete
  6. I always felt bad when I gave Syd meds too. She was a terrible teether. Cried, fevered.
    I wish we would have given her bones....your mom is super smart.
    I would give her my finger to chew on. I would put my finger in her mouth and push down on her gums and she would immediately start gnawing.
    Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you say that K. I used to give Gracie my finger until the day she nearly bit it off! LOL! She has little shark teeth now.

      Delete
  7. Another natural teething reliever is Camilia, we use it when the boys have rough or restless nights.
    I think it took a couple weeks before I noticed real relief with the amber necklace. I hope it works as well for you as it has for us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear you say that Spring! As someone who has amber wearing kiddos that gives me hope.

      I just need to be patient! :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...