Thursday, March 7, 2013

{Gracie’s 1st Birthday}

I don’t want to forget a thing about Gracie’s FIRST ever birthday party, so grab a chair friends!  This post is a bit long and rather picture heavy… I couldn’t help myself. ;)


I want to start by thanking our unbelievable family and friends.  We thank you for helping us throw the most ridiculously fun circus birthday imaginable and more importantly, we thank you for joining us in celebrating the little gal you have showered with love over the past year.  As you will soon see in the many pictures that were taken, Gracie’s first birthday turned out to be quite the GRAND circus!


Our little gal’s party was this past Sunday and for all that went into planning it; the day came and went in a flash!  In the days leading up to the party, me and G finished our last minute projects and I must admit that when I glued the last baby picture on the last banner, it was a much more emotional experience than I anticipated.  That was it, every bow was tied, every glue stick used.  Gracie’s party was planned and we were ready to celebrate the best year of our lives.


The festivities were at a party space we rented downtown and while the space itself looked awesome, the fact that we were given only ONE hour to decorate was not the easiest thing to manage… we had a lot of decorations people!  We figured out pretty early on that we would need helpers and would need to be super organized if we were going to pull it off in less than 60 minutes.  I think the most important thing to both me and G was to make things as stress-free as possible on the day of.  We all know that birthday parties can be hectic (especially a first birthday party with a family of our size) but having FUN was key.  From the yummy recipes our loved ones contributed, to the help we received decorating, everything really came together.  When I look back on Grace’s first birthday party, my memories of our awesome friends and family running around, hanging signs and banners, laughing and rushing will be some of my favorite memories!


Gracie did really great ALL DAY!  She hung out in the Bjorn with Georgia at the beginning of the party and was happily passed from person to person throughout the afternoon looking O’so cute in her bright red tutu!  There was only one point when she was fussy and the fussiness was really our fault.  She was way overdue for a bottle and was a happy gal after she had one.  There were a ton of kids and a jumper so watching the kiddos play kept Gracie’s attention the entire party.  If there is one thing baby girl LOVES, it’s watching other kiddos in action.


Our first hour or so was spent visiting and taking pictures with the birthday girl.  We had a Gracie’s Circus Birthday “photo booth” set up complete with a red curtain backdrop and props ranging from a clown wig, a top hat and magician wand to silly glasses, circus animal masks and clown noses.  Guests were asked to take as many pictures as their hearts desired but to please hashtag #graciescircusbirthday on any photos they posted on Instagram.  We checked Instagram before making the photo booth sign to make sure this hashtag was unused and we have LOVED looking at all the hilarious #graciescircusbirthday pictures that have been posted over the past couple of days.  I feel like this was one of the more creative ideas we had for the party and we were pumped that guests had so much fun participating!  Here are a few of our favorite “photo booth” pictures ~


My absolute favorite element of the party was the circus candy table!  We started purchasing candy about 3 months ago because we wanted to have a ton and we didn’t want to go broke getting it.  There were customized “Gracie’s Circus” candy bars, M&M’s, suckers, Jelly Beans, fruit gummies, chocolate covered raisins, bubble gum, Sixlets, rainbow lollipops and Old Fashion Candy Buttons.  And believe it or not, the candy table went untouched for the first hour of the party.  It’s like the kids were afraid they would get in trouble if they touched it, ha!  I eventually had to round some kids up and tell them to go nuts!  From that point forward, the candy began to disappear.  While Grace obviously couldn’t partake in the candy eating, she did get to snatch a little wand from the candy table to wave at guests and try to eat. ;) 


Following our viewing of the iMovie Georgia made chronicling Gracie’s first year (which made many of us cry), we got set up to sing happy birthday to our little gal.  I would have to say, she handled being the center of attention pretty well.  We didn’t get the usual smiles out of her while we sang but she didn’t cry as most one year olds do when 80 people are staring at them!  After we sang and began handing out cake, my mom came over to tell me, “honey, you probably shouldn’t let her eat the entire smash cake”.  LOL, we totally left Grace in her highchair with her cake and she was well on her way to finishing it by the time we took it away!  Her sugar high last until around 10pm, which is waaaay past her bedtime… it’s a good thing she only gets cake once a year.


I’m pretty sure I didn’t sit for more than 5 minutes the entire party and I doubt Georgia did either.  We were both just too excited to stop socializing and parading Grace around the party.  There was one point in the day that I asked G to turn around and take a moment to soak it all in.  The kids jumping, grandparents and great, great grandparents visiting; Disney music playing, friends laughing – it was a great thing to see!  I remember telling Georgia when we were booking our location, “how are we going to fill 3 hours of time?”… Looking back on that conversation now makes me giggle.  I wish we could have had 4 hours.  Who knew it would pass so quickly!


We waited until we were home to open presents because Grace was rather pooped after her long day as the guest of honor.  Luckily she took a little power nap on the way home.  This also gave her the chance to spend some extra special time with her Nani, grandma, grandpa and uncles.  During the opening of presents, the babe was far more interested in playing with the tissue and gift bags but has since taken a HUGE interest in her toys.  So far the birthday bear her grandma and grandpa gave her seems to be a favorite, but I have a feeling she is going to equally love driving around in her Princess Cozy Coupe and sliding down her Little Tikes School Bus Activity Gym.  I can’t wait to assemble everything, YAY!  


I can honestly say that Grace’s first birthday couldn’t have gone any better.  We had so much fun but more importantly Gracie had a great day.  As you can tell by these pictures, her birthday was action packed to say the least, hehe. 

Happy 1st birthday to our greatest joy.  We love you baby girl. :)   

18 comments:

  1. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for these pictures! They don't disappoint!! That picture of Grace with the pile of cake is awesome! She looks like she's screaming, "LOOK AT ME MOM! THIS IS F'ING AWESOME!" Peyton's party is Sunday and it's all Dr. Seuss. I am still scrambling to get all the decorations together and ready! I also have an hour to set up so I am glad I read this before hand so I can make sure I have plenty of helpers on standby. Happy birthday to Grace! I'm glad she had such an awesome time and I know it was a special day for you both as well, tell Georgia Happy Belated Birthing Day! I thought it was awesome when someone wished me that yesterday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, sorry to keep you waiting! Things have been so busy around here with family in town, work and wrapping up bday stuff. I too was dying to share Gracie's birthday pictures. I can't wait to see Peyton's Dr. Seuss birthday! I can imagine that there's tons of fun crafty things you can do with the theme.

      P.S. I told my wife Happy Birthing Day and she loved it! Happy birthday to little miss Peyton.

      Delete
  2. I love these pictures. I have checked your blog so many times over the last few days waiting to catch a glimpse of all the excitement. So ... Can I hire you to plan (and execute) the boys birthday party? I have to make sure no one in my family stumbles upon your blog because there is no way I can throw off a party like that. Gracie is so, so, so lucky to you have both in her life!!! Happy 1st Birthday Gracie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet comment! I didn't mean to wait so long to share Gracie's birthday pics... The days just flew by. Too bad we don't live in the same state because you could totally hire me to party plan if we did, lol! You just wait - the boys are going to be one before you know it!

      Delete
  3. What an AWESOME birthday party! Loved the candy table and the look on Gracie's face as she destroyed her smash cake. Btw, your mom is seriously beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! The cake picture of Grace may be my favorite of them all, lol! Thanks for the mom compliment too. She's beautiful inside and out. :)

      Delete
  4. I can't believe Gracie has been in this world for a whole year. I started reading your blog before she was born... time flys!!

    Congratulations on making it through the first year!! From the blog perspective you guys made it look easy! Can't wait for my wifey and I to be in our first year... you both are an inspiration.

    From the pictures I can tell everyone had a good time celebrating Gracie's birthday!! Love all the personal touches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shanna, thank you for the sweet comment. The sense of community in the lesbian bloggers universe is amazing! It makes me so happy to read that some of you have been here with us since the beginning, as I've loved following your journey too! I'm often told that my posts are always positive and what I will say is that the reality is, it hasn't always been easy... But when you've worked 2+ years to get pregnant, you're just so damn happy to be a mom that you have a more positive perspective, lol!

      Once your little one makes his or her way to you, I know you'll be the same way. I can't wait to read your post announcing a BFP! It's going to happen this year, I can just feel it!!

      Delete
  5. AHHH! Love love love!!! You literally thought of everything. I love all the little details that you thought of...loved the candy table and her pictures on the banners! The decorations were amazing!
    The Instagram photobooth...ummm that was genius! (I'm totally going to steal your idea for Noah's 1st Birthday.)
    I am so glad that it went so well condsidering all the hard work you put it! The pictures look like everyone is having such a good time. You'll be able to look back on this for years. Oh And I'll be hitting you up for decoration ideas this fall when we start planning Noah's party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! The candy table is my favorite element of the party too. I don't know if it's that I loved the way it looked or loved watching the kiddos enjoy the table of sweets (maybe both)! Please use the Instagram idea because I promise your guests will love it. There are still pictures rolling in with Gracie's hashtag and it seems like our friends and fam have had so much fun with it!! I'll start thinking up some fun baby boy, 1 year party ideas. :)

      Delete
  6. Happy 1st Birthday to your beautiful Princess! The party looked absolutely phenomenal! So amazingly creative, fun, bright and colourful! You should go into the party planning business because that looks so fabulous! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes! I would LOVE to be a party planner but I don't think there's much of a market for it in New Mexico, LOL! I hope you're still enjoying your new hometown and having fun with that beautiful girlfriend of yours! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. You all know how to throw a PARTY ! Damn.
    I am always amazed at the support and love you have from your family.
    Your mom looks so young and is very pretty.
    Love the cake picture....but I love the idea of having everyone dress up and take their own pictures. What an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks K! I'm with you; the cake picture cracks me up every time I see it, lol! We count our blessings when it comes to the support of our family. Gracie's birthday party was a great reminder of that. It was definitely a day full of LOVE. :)

      I'm glad you guys had a good time in CA. Bummer that it was cold but it sounds like you all made the best of it.

      Delete
  8. Oh, how fun! And she looks so completely thrilled by the whole thing. Happy birthday, Gracie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isa! Grace had such a great time. Your little gal will be celebrating her first here in no time. Isn't it just crazy?

      Delete
  9. Awww gorgeous gorgeous photos. Happy belated birthday Gracie. Your mummies did a fantastic job throwing you a circus party. Just hope we can throw M as good a party in 4 months :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracie says thanks! ;) I'm sure M's birthday party is going to be awesome! Both his mums are pretty creative!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...