Thursday, March 21, 2013

Gracie’s Birthday Crafts ~ DIY Picture Banners


Well, it’s been 2 weeks since Gracie’s birthday party and the dust in the Roybal household is finally starting to settle.  Now that I have a little more “free time” (whatever that means, hehe), I’m excited to share some do-it-yourself crafting tips on the projects we completed for baby girl’s first birthday party.  I’ve received some “how to” questions about the décor on FB and Instagram, so my apologies for the delayed response. :)


Aside from Grace’s Wish Box, one DIY element of our little gal’s party and the most exciting project for me, was her birthday banners!  For months, I searched for ideas on cute and colorful ways that we could display pictures of Grace that would somehow fit in with our circus theme.  Most of what I found involved creating a large poster board displaying family/baby photos and while I found these ideas to be very cute, my sister-in-law did that same thing for our niece Mia’s 1st birthday just months before, so that option was already taken. 


As luck would have it, I ordered two plastic circus banners to hang on the walls at the party and when they arrived the idea of incorporating photos on similar looking banners was born!  I have to give kudos to my good friend Katy for suggesting a simpler way of hanging the banners that worked out great!  I was going to use fabric and sew each piece to a long strip of ribbon but after going to a baby shower Katy hosted and seeing how easily she strung her paper banners on to string, I simplified my process.  Katy, you saved me a ton of work!

This is seriously one of the easiest and least expensive DIY projects I’ve ever done, so if you use this idea, I know you won’t be disappointed. :)

Here is what you’ll need:  


Elmer’s adhesive squares or glue (I used both), white string, scissors, a paper cutter (if you can’t cut a straight line like me), tape, multi-colored cardstock, a hole punch and photos of your adorable baby!  Not all of the items I used are pictured above.  I was kinda figuring it out as I went!
*Helpful tip: you can purchase pre-cut triangles at most craft stores.

Step 1: Select the pictures you wish to display on your banner.  You will need to select vertical pictures only as this is the only size that fits on the triangle pieces.  Once you’ve picked your photos, pair each picture with a colored cardstock cutout.  I tried to color coordinate the picture with the paper but I think it would look good either way.


Step 2: Decide how big you want the pictures to be that you are going to attach to your banner.  Once you have a size in mind, cut a piece of cardstock in the shape and size you want.  This is what you will use to trace a triangle on the back of each photo.


Step 3: Once you have all of your photos cut out, you’re going to glue each picture to its designated piece of cardstock.  If using a glue stick, you will have a few second to reposition/straighten your picture if needed.  If using adhesive squares, be sure you have it positioned exactly right before attaching.


Step 4: Once all of your photos are attached securely to the cardstock, you will need to punch two holes at the top of each banner piece.  This is how you will string each picture together.


 Step 5: Lay your banner pieces out in the order in which you would like them to appear on your banner.  I made three banners of various lengths.  Feel free to make yours as long or short as you’d like.  Once your pieces are laid out, measure your string to see how long each corresponding piece needs to be.


Step 6: thread your string through the front of your banner piece, around the back and back out the second hole.  You will thread one piece at a time sliding it to the end of your banner.  Once you have your piece where you want it, tape the string to the card stock on the backside.  You will do this for every piece until your banner is full.  And that's it!  

You now have party decorations and picture displays of your beautiful birthday baby!    


Grace LOVED seeing her pictures all over the party.  Anytime she would pass a banner she would reach and shout with excitement until we would let her touch it, ha!

7 comments:

  1. Love it.
    You are totally that pinterest mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, awesome! I wish I had thought of that!! :P Great job mama and thanks for the share, I'm pinning it so I can do it for Peyton's second birthday. I know, I know, we just had a first birthday and I'm already planning the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Rachel! I can't believe you can even think about party planning this soon... Mama needs a party planning break! ;)

      Delete
    2. LOL, I'm not actually allowed to plan concrete stuff. My partner says we have to let Peyton decide next year! ;)

      Delete
  3. So cute!!!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...