Sunday, March 17, 2013

Green & Bean Shamrock Quesadilla

When little “holidays” like St. Patrick’s Day come around, the dork in me can’t help but do something fun and different with baby girl.  The day usually involves a themed outfit of some sort (complete with accessories) and if there is time to make a holiday type recipe, I’m all over it!

Gracie’s first St. Patty’s day was very low-key because she was only 10 days old. We spent around an hour at the park but hurried back to our nest as soon as we could out of pure nervousness, hehe.  What a difference a year makes because this St. Patrick’s Day was way more action packed for all of us than the one before!  The day began with some green eggs and ham courtesy of a very awesome mommy, followed by a birthday party for Grace’s cousin, Jace who turned one.  The boys (our nephews) were able to join us for the party, which just made Gracie’s day.  She LOVES all of her cousins but is especially fascinated with her cousin Devin.  They have this adorable little bond and Devin gets smiles and giggles out of Grace that are unlike any others.  I’m so glad that they were able to join us!

I rolled up my sleeves and got creative with Gracie’s St. Patty’s lunch too!  I wanted to make her something green that wouldn’t keep me in the kitchen all afternoon and a quesadilla was the first thing that came to mind.  What gives this 5 minute meal its charm is the green tortilla.  If you’ve never tasted spinach tortillas you are missing out.  They’re delish!  A couple tortillas, a few ingredients and a little food coloring and TADA… Grace had her very own Green & Bean Shamrock quesadilla.  How do you like the name?  I just made it up, lol. ;)

If you want to make this 5 minute meal, here’s what you’ll need:


And here is the quick and easy how-to:

~ Cook 1 cup of Minute Brown Rice
~ While the rice is cooking heat the black beans and added a little garlic powder to taste


~ Fold a tortilla in half and punch out 4 hearts using a heart cookie cutter

~ Once the beans and rice are finished, stuff your mini heart tortillas and don’t forget to add some cheese!

~ Use the leftover tortilla scraps to make your shamrock stem

~ Add 2 drops of green food coloring to the sour cream and spoon a dollop in the center of the shamrock and that’s it, you’re done!


All in all, it was such a fun day.  Here are a few more pictures of our afternoon.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day. :)


Me and my little gal :)


Getting all 3 of them to look at me at the same time was impossible, ha!


Shooting hoops with mommy.


I love her little face in this one.  She can’t seem to decide if she likes the ride or not…



Happy Sunday friends!

7 comments:

  1. You guys are so stinkin cute! I love your creative food ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! It's crazy what having a kid will do to you... I never used to channel my creative juices this often. ;)

      Delete
  2. Yummy!!!! By the way, be prepared for the green food coloring to "show itself" again on the other end...I learned that the hard way when Little Monster had green eggs and ham at preschool on Friday and left the a nice shamrock of his own in the potty yesterday afternoon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, ha! I didn’t even think about that. I was so paranoid to give Grace food coloring that even after extensive research, I still only used like 2 drops, lol. I guess we’ll see what she has in store for us tomorrow? Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  3. Love the shamrock cut out idea.
    My kids had green toilet water and green milk....which means that tomorrow the toilet water might just be green again :) ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lovin the green water idea. One of my mom friends gave her kiddos a light green bath tonight, so cute! Did you tell the kids a leprechaun used their toilet? ;)

      Delete
  4. This is so adorable! I can't give Peyton any sort of beans, she will have poop from here to the moon. We tried that once! I'm glad you had a great day. What a difference a year makes indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...