Sunday, April 7, 2013

TTC #2...


Is officially underway!  Our original plan for this, our second attempt to bring a beautiful baby into the world, has changed a few times in recent months.  The first plan was to begin our TTC (trying to conceive) prep in January so that come March when Grace turned one, I would be ready for my first insemination.  Well, as life would have it, the closer we got to March the more I realized I just wasn’t ready.  I felt that Grace was still too little and to be completely honest, I was exhausted.  All that went into celebrating baby girl’s birthday + the torture we were going through with teething + Gracie’s STTN finally getting under control + total craziness at work, left me feeling pulled in a hundred different directions and sooo not ready. 

While I didn’t feel ready, I still felt panicked at the idea of waiting.  I know that must sound like a contradiction but it took us nearly 3 YEARS to get Gracie here and I knew that if we decided to put TTC #2 off another year and it took us 3 years again, that would be a much larger age gap then either Georgia or I wanted.  I actually felt pretty guilty about wanting to wait; like I was foiling our plan or something and in January when G began asking me questions about getting started I had to come clean that I wasn’t ready.  I shared with her that the thought of acupuncture twice a week, doc appointments, fertility clinic visits, saving for maternity leave, diet changes, weight loss and everything else that comes along with TTC stressed me out.  I think it stressed me out because I feel like it was just yesterday that we were doing all of these things to make Gracie.  I also think it stressed me out because of my concerns with my PCOS.

Deep down I have some very real fears that I’m going to have issues conceiving due to my Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.  While AF is now a very regular monthly visitor and I ovulate, dropping at least 20 more pounds is a must.  I need to change my diet a bit and begin cutting wine and the occasional cigarette out completely.  I’m also freaked because this would be my FIRST pregnancy and delivery.  I know what it’s going to be like having gone through every step when Georgia carried our little gal, but it’s just different knowing that it will be ME physically experiencing it this time around.  Yikes!

It’s amazing how much thought and planning go into conception for LGBT families and it can be quite overwhelming when you sit back and think of all that goes into creating a precious little life.  The good part is I know I want this and I really am excited.  The January deadline just scared me and I needed more time.  In hindsight, I’m glad I took the time I needed.  Now that I feel more centered, things at work are so much better and Gracie’s doing great, it’s GO TIME!

This past week we began the new patient process with our fertility clinic and they’re actually mailing me my new patient packet this week!  We finally paid off the $650 balance at our sperm bank, out of state and saved enough money to have the 3 vials we’ve been storing there shipped to NM to join the other 5 vials we’re paying to store here.  My new patient appointment/registration is in early May and it’s just crazy to think that things are finally underway!

Because we’ll begin inseminations around the July timeframe and because my lovely wife’s birthday is around the corner, we’re taking an early summer vacation this year.  This month we’re heading out to Arizona to spend a week with my BF Sara, her husband Vince and their little girl Olivia who is just a few weeks older than Grace.  I’m so looking forward to spending our days by their pool, watching the girls play and taking Grace on little adventures while we’re out there!  This will be her second flight, so let’s hope it goes well!

So, I know this post has been all over the place but I’ll wrap things up with this adorable little video.  I was finally able to catch Grace saying, “hi” and signing “water” on video!  Baby girl usually signs, “water” with all three fingers but you get the idea.  This video makes my heart so happy. :)

30 comments:

  1. How exciting! I'm so happy y'all are going to bring a #2 to the mix! I wish you all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's just crazy to me that TTC #2 is already here. It came fast!

      Delete
  2. I'm rooting for you! Hope all goes well on the TTC front and I can't wait to read all about the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can use all the cheerleaders I can get. :) :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats & good luck :)
    I too have PCOS but didn't figure it out until 2 years into TTC & changing fertility doctors. Once it was found & treated appropriately I was pregnant the very next month :)
    Exciting times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Spring! If you don't mind me asking, what changes do you think made the biggest difference in getting you pregnant? I'm trying to be as proactive as possible because we would love to have 3 kids but only have 8 vials left. It took 7 to make Grace. :0/

      Delete
    2. Honestly, because we didn't figure it out until 2 years into TTC & because I had so many cysts from the fertility meds we were advised & moved on to IVF. My first RE was a quack & strung us along I think because he knew we couldn't accidentally get pregnant on our own.

      Delete
    3. I did change my diet, I elimated all sugar & artificial sweetener & carbs while doing the IVF & right up until morning sickness hit, then of course I ate more crackers & bagels than one could count :)

      Delete
    4. I have yet to develop a cyst (knock on wood) but I was diagnosed based off all my other symptoms. I've never thought to cut artificial sweeteners out but if that would help I totally will. I use SweetnLow every single day! I'm also going to cut carbs, oh how I will miss them!

      Thank you so much for the info. I truly appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. So exciting! And don't feel bad about needing a little more time. We've talked about TTC #2, but I really need to get past the first birthday and have a couple months to focus on non-baby things for a bit before we jump in, too. It's hard knowing that there might be a long wait, but I think it's good to enjoy what you have, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so there with you on the idea of focusing on non-baby things, lol. 6 months of rest and catching up on my life is making all the difference. I can't believe EJ's 1st birthday is right around the corner. Time passes way to quickly!

      Delete
  5. #2! So exciting :) I want #3 but Jenn isn't convinced yet!

    It takes a ton of planning but you could try going gluten-free to help with the PCOS. I worked with a few clients who had it. A healthy gluten-free diet is also helpful for weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand Jenn wanting to wait a bit longer. You do have TWO little cuties after all. I'm super busy and feeling the need to wait with just one, haha! In 2012 I calorie counted and did low carb, which helped me lose 60lbs. Incorporating gluten-free is a great idea. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. After we were 12 or so BFNs in to TTC#2, I was seriously kicking myself for not trying earlier. Kris was ready when LM was almost a year old and I dragged my feet thinking we were "not ready." It took 16 months to get pregnant with LM so I am not sure what the heck made me think that #2 would be easier. It took 21 months with this one and LM will be a week away from 3 and half years old when she gets here, which was not in "our plan" at all, but I know it WILL all work out and we are elated to be welcoming baby girl soon. I am not sure how long you have been following the blog but we also encountered PCOS issues (undiagnosed until Kris had a ovarian cyst rupture...yeah not fun...while we were on a 2ww). It about ended our TTC#2 journey. I am not recalling off the top of my head when that was. Last spring, early summer maybe? Not sure, but I did post on it then.

    I am not sure how related it was, but we seriously got pregnant the month after Kris started taking Vitex. It is a supplemental that helps to regulate cycles and ovulation issues that comes with the PCOS territory. Honestly, I think this one was a fluke pregnancy, but I am not going to complain ;)

    I might have to do a blog post about the conception! Wonder if too graphic? Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you writing that TTC#2 was much more difficult, but 12 BFN would be crushing. My hat goes off to you and Kris for remaining so dedicated. I'm going to look for your PCOS posts tonight. It's amazing what little is written about it. Blogs have been my way of educating myself so THANK YOU for writing about it!!

      Did Kris ovulate or was that the main issue? I'll have to keep Vitex in mind and I think writing a post about you TTC #2 is a great idea!

      Delete
    2. In all it was 19 BFNs and an early loss before we got our BFP that stuck! And yes it WAS crushing. It was a hit or miss on ovulating, honestly we went into each month not really knowing what was going to happen or when. She went from short cycles to long cycles and from wide windows of fertile symptoms to SHORT windows of fertile symptoms. So frustrating. Like I said, I am not sure if the Vitex was THE factor but it straightened her cycles out quick and she seemed to get a very long fertile window right after that which I think helped greatly. I am putting a post about TTC#2 on my to do list ;)

      Delete
    3. Wow Amanda! Your TTC #2 makes Boo's soon-to-be arrival all that much more special if you ask me! I can't wait to read your post!

      Delete
  7. Yahooo !
    It's a completely different ball park with a new body and new organs to work with.
    So exciting.

    Love the squinchy eye smile while saying Hi. She's so stinking cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! It's like we're starting all over again because who even knows how things will go with me. I'm super excited but very nervous.

      I love this video! Her little voice is the most precious sound and I'm so glad we'll have video to look back on when she's screaming at us in her teen years, haha!

      Delete
  8. YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!! How exciting!! I can't wait to follow along on your TTC ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayayayay is exactly what I'm feeling now! I look forward to sharing the experience. :)

      Delete
  9. Love this post! What great news!!! Yay for #2 and you carrying. This is so exciting. I completely understand how easily you could feel overwhelmed thinking of starting the whole process over. When I start to think about us TTC #3 that it stresses me out too. I know your PCOS is a concern but honstly the medical professional in me will tell you that if your ovulating monthly then you've already won half the battle. Of course you'll still need to make a few changes but just take those one at a time. Baby steps!
    I am so happy that you've got the ball rolling and I can't wait to hear more = )
    And last but not least...Miss Gracie's video is so precious! Her saying "Hi!" is adorable! I just love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! I know Noah's still so little but have you and Les started talking about when you think you'll try for #3? I'm always curious of how much time parent choose to space between kiddos. You're right, I'm all about the baby steps right now. Getting our baby bills paid, the vials shipped here and scheduling our first appt was step one. Oh and thanks for the sweet comment on Gracie's video. I love it too!

      Delete
    2. Oh we started talking about it before Noah even arrived! Ha! When we were pregnant with Noah we said we wanted to start trying for #3 before he even turned a year old. We wanted to keep them really close together but since then decided to wait until Noah turns one. I think 2-3 years is a great gap. We should be on track to start trying again Spring 2014! I am hoping that by the time #3 arrives Noah will be out of diapers. Thats our goal! Its pretty close to what you two are planning.

      Delete
  10. Very exciting, wishing you all the best!! We look forward to following the next stage of your journey. I can't wait until that's us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so happy to read that Monkey is growing like a weed and doing great. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi there, I just found your blog, which is surprising as I'm following half the commenters on here! (And some even follow me lol.)
    My wife (who won't be TTC) has PCOS. We have an amazing naturopath who made her do a detox then go gluten free and it's made an enormous difference to her- meaning she ovulates monthly, has got the bleeding and pain under control etc. We did strict GF (and sugar free) for about 4-6 mths and now just avoid but aren't so extreme. It sure helps though. Also, soy products are apparently not helpful for PCOS sufferers.
    Good luck with TTC. We have had 2 losses at 12 wks and have TTC with home insemination 10 times now. Later this week is gonna be lucky number 11! I'm blogging over at www.pepibebe.wordpress.com and I'll add you to my reader now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pepi B! I'm so glad you found my little blog! Thanks for the PCOS tips. Before this post I had never heard of going GF as a way of controlling symptoms but I'm definitely going to look into it.

      I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your pregnancies. Making a baby is such an emotionally draining experience when things don't go as planned. I know my wife and I have had our share of heartache. But as the mama to a now toddler, I will say that it's all worth it as I'm sure you'll soon learn for yourself.

      Sending positive vibes your way. :)

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh- I can't believe how long its been since I've checked in. This is such exciting news!! I will be praying for you and your family that you won't have to wait too long before #2 arrives. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, where have you been lady. Ha, j/k... I was just reading about your pregnancy induced exhaustion and feelings of barfiness. I'm so excited for you gals and we can't wait for your NM baby shower!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...