Thursday, May 16, 2013

From Blog to BOOK!

I have been dying to share this post since our blog books arrived two weeks ago but as you may have read in recent posts, we’ve had a sick little gal and it has been crazy town up in here!  In any case, the exciting news is that our blog books are here and I finally managed to snag a moment of free time yesterday to photograph a few of the pages.  Woot, woot!

More Than Words Blog to Book ~ 2010


The purpose of this blog has, from the beginning, been my way of chronicling our baby making journey as well as Gracie’s “wonder years”.  I began searching for companies that turn blogs into books about two years ago but could not find anything legit.  The sites I came across either required that I release copyright privileges (so not happening) or I had to agree to share my personal information with anyone and everyone the company wanted to sell it to.  I felt very uncomfortable doing any of the above so I put the whole blog to book idea on the shelf.


As luck would have it, a friend from college posted the link to a company she planned to order blog books through, and from the look of the FB feedback following her comment, I discovered that several mutual friends had used the same company and were very please with their purchases!  This was so exciting for me because I had pretty much given up on the idea…. fast forward a few weeks and following a line-by-line review of the “terms of use” policy, I was ready to order.

More Than Words Blog to Book ~ 2011


Our books are BEAUTIFUL, really they are!  The quality is amazing – they have the binding and paper quality of high school yearbooks and we all know those last forever.  The picture color is the same as you would get ordering prints through companies like shutter.fly or Snap.fish and I LOVE that they offered tons of hardcover options to choose from.


I have been blogging since 2010, so I decided that it would be easiest to just order a separate book for each year (i.e. 2010 vol.1, 2011 vol. 2, etc.).  The company allows you to add a cover photo and a picture/message dedication on the introduction page.  There is a table of contents and you can even add a picture to the backside, which turned out super cute.  The total cost for the three books was right around $250.00 and each book was a different price because the price is dependent on the total pages ordered in each.

More Than Words Blog to Book ~ 2012


Eventually, I have every intention of making Grace a baby scrapbook.  I want to print actual photos and fill the pages with my own handwriting and the keepsakes we collected in her first year, I just have no idea when I’ll find the time to do it… I do LOVE scrapbooking and while I feel it has more of a personal touch than a made to order photo book, it is also so much more time consuming.  Considering the fact that our stinker is already 14 months and I have yet to start scraping her first year… who knows when it will happen, if ever?!


Our pregnancy pictures and the photos of Gracie’s first year are so incredibly important to both Georgia and I.  And while this is true, the stories of how we became a family are the most important to me.  None of us really know if blogger will be around in 30 years or if one day we may accidentally delete our blog.  We have no idea if the stories we’re writing each month about the small everyday things will be accessible when our kiddos are old enough to want to read them.  What I do know is that books live forever and when Grace is pregnant with her first baby and wants to know how our pregnancies were, or when she wants to read about how she did on her first day home from the hospital, I’ll take these books off the shelf, dust them off and read her the story of us.

20 comments:

  1. Love this!!!! I had considered the same, but much like you, never found the "right" company to do it.

    Question? Do they do the WHOLE blog or just the entries you submit? As in can you edit what is published? I would want the posts about Little Monster and new baby but not so much the random stuff I post about that does not involve parenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it the most awesome thing! After hunting for the right company for years, I'm so glad to have found it!

      There are tons of customizations you can make and yes, you can choose which posts you want included. I removed a few random posts from each book and it was really easy to do. If you order one, I want to see pics! :)

      Delete
  2. Great looking book girl ! Love the way they turned out.

    I will def. have to look at this company. Several friends have ordered books and I love them.
    I keep saying that I'm going to get going on it....but it seems so time consuming. I will have to edit A LOT ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yay! You will have some editing to do, lol! The good news is that the editing is quick and easy!

      Delete
  3. Awesome, I have been wanting to order books too & just haven't got around to it. Now I won't have to research so much :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll be really happy with how they come out. I made all 3 in one day. The program is really user friendly.

      Delete
  4. I did this too!! I love this idea :) I already did a "babies in belly" book and plan to print two more; first and second years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to steal your "babies in the belly" idea!

      Delete
  5. Doing this with our blog for sure! Love it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your books turned out great!
    I wanted to turn my blog into a book for years now and FINALLY started this month. I figured if I edit one post a day, I'll be done in a year...haha. Hopefully it won't take that long! :)
    I never read the "terms of use", I'm using "Booksmart"...definitely should look into that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm excited to see how it turns out!

      Delete
  7. That is so cool!!! They look awesome and I'm supremely jealous that you've been "published". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Me and G were joking about that the other day. I've written a book. ;)

      Delete
  8. This is great! I should look into it! I understand the thought of keeping the stories alive! This is a touching story to share too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks but I can't take all the credit. For as annoying as Facebook can be, it is great for getting ideas on projects like this!

      Delete
  10. Wow! the books look fantastic! What a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I LOVE them. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...