Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day with a side of jealousy


From the time you’re a kid and all the way up through college, Memorial Day Weekend often means traveling, parties, sleeping-in and fun.  As you get older, this tends to change a bit.  More responsibility often translates into working some holiday weekends or using the time off to catch-up on things around the house.  That was the case for us this Memorial Day weekend.  I desperately wanted to go camping or do anything festive really, but there was so much that had to be done around the house and money that needed to be saved rather than spent, so going out of town just wasn't an option.  We spent the first half of our 4 days off cleaning the yard, pruning the roses, doing laundry (tons of laundry), hooking up the AC and grocery shopping.  By Sunday I found myself feeling very blue and a little green with envy.  Facebook can be a pain in the ass sometimes as it pertains to this situation, especially on holidays when you’re stuck at home... I was reading posts and looking at pictures of friends camping, laking, visiting awesome places like Belize and Paris – while I sat folding laundry and feeling sorry for myself.

I should clarify that my feelings of “blueness” have more to do with things going on with my job right now (post on that later) more so than anything else, but still I found myself feeling envious and I hate feeling like that.  I’m an adult so obviously I understand that not every holiday can be a big celebration.  I’ve also been a home owner long enough to understand that the work never really ends and it's just a part of owning your own property.  I just have a tendency to become overwhelmed and slightly depressed when things aren’t going “according to plan” and right now they most definitely are not.  Things on the home front are better but with as much time as I spend in the office, when things are in limbo there, it has just as much of an impact.  I’m sure all my fellow working moms can understand what that feels like.   

I know I’ve read fellow bloggers post about the perfect lives some portray on social networking sites and that we all know that things aren’t always what they appear.  Even with that being said, do any of you find yourself comparing your life, family, career, holidays, etc. with those connected with you on your social networking sites?  I try not to, but sometimes when I’m stressed or just overwhelmed with the day-to-day “to-do’s”, that little green monster creeps in.

Thankfully me and G have awesome moms who joined us in ending my weekend of self-pity on a happy note. :)  On Monday me, G and the babe joined my family for a day at the pool.  We packed a picnic and spent the entire afternoon swimming, sunning ourselves and playing with the kiddos.  I even went on one of the big slides, which is something I never do.  It felt great to be out and to spend quality time with my family and BONUS, it only cost us 5 bucks!  Grace is such a water baby so she, of course, LOVED it.

Our evening was spent grilling ribs and other goodies with G’s mom.  We had a good visit and my grill-master of a wife made an amazing meal.  It was a great way to end the long weekend and was a much needed reminder that while April and May have not been my favorite months, Georgia and I have an awesome family and that’s something to be thankful for. 

Here are a few pictures of our fun in the sun.  I hope you all had a great Memorial Weekend!













Summer Bucket List: Go swimming - check!

10 comments:

  1. Awwe looks like you had a great ending to your weekend! Love the pictures..such a cute little family!!! YES! I find myself comparing our life to others sometimes! I think as humans we can't really help it..it just happens! :) Hoping things at work start looking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The long weekend did end well and I agree with you 100%. We all draw comparisons from time to time and I’ve noticed that it tends to happen more when times are tough. Thank you for the sweet comment.

      Delete
  2. yes and yes.
    The grass is always greener. and sometimes it is. most of the time it's just a state of mind. your mind.
    I've been "blue" lately too. I read something yesterday on FB reminding me once again that it is the way I perceive things...the way I think that makes me either happy or sad. It's not anyone else's doing.
    I agree with that. it's so hard though. It's very hard to help the positive seep through and take over the sad and hard and angry of it all.

    Either way you look at it I'm always jealous of your family support and connections. See. it's just the way that it is. no matter how happy I try to spin it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think positive thoughts; think positive thoughts… repeat daily… Thanks for making me feel less like a shallow person. I try to keep it real here – the positive and the petty. I totally agree that it’s all about perspective and I need to keep mine in check. I do appreciate my family so, so much. Like your house full of chaos and kids, that’s what keeps us going. :)

      Delete
  3. Boo about work! I work in higher ed too (and recently started stalking you as my partner and I are TTCing for the first time) and it can definitely be rough.

    And everybody compares, but you always seem to come out on the other end recognizing how great things really are and thats what matters!

    And sometimes its just crap...let's be honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lez Be Parents! I'm so glad you found our little piece of the blogosphere. Do you gals have a blog as well? If so, I would love to follow your journey. Please stalk my blog as much as you need to, ha. I did the exact same thing when we were first TTC. There just isn't enough literature out there for same sex conception and I prefer reading stories about "real" people’s experiences anyway.

      Congratulation on the start of your baby making!

      Delete
  4. Sorry about the work stuff, but just for the record, I compare myself to YOU all the time ;) Probably because Grace and Peyton are like 2 hours apart in age. LOL - anyway, I think a good green envy monster is good sometimes. Oh, and look at that little belly on your Grace! So cute! We call it Peyton's Buddha belly ;) Hang in there, summer is coming, so we should have plenty of moments for fun in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think all of us mamas with kiddos similar in age make comparisons. I often call Gracie's belly a little Buddha belly to, hehe. Especially right after she eats. ;)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the weekend ended off on a good note. Family always has a way of making things better :)

    ps. That wagon is awesome! We are in the market for a good 2-seater wagon. Love that it turns into a bench!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashleigh, it did end pretty good. We LOVE the wagon but it was a HUGE pain in the butt to put together. We were up until 2am on Christmas Eve assembling the dang thing! It can be a standard wagon but also has one side that flips over to make the bench. There are two bucket seats that fold open on the inside and they have safety straps to buckle kiddos in. It was so worth the money. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...