Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Never say never…

Isn’t that how the saying goes?  As a mother I have come to learn that these words could not be truer!  I remember back when we first found out that Gracie was on the way, I had so many grandiose plans of who I would be as a mother.  I had it all figured out.  What parenting style I would follow, what kind of parents Georgia and I would be together, and of course there was my mental list of things I would absolutely never do as a mom and the things that were essential.  I had the perfect plan… and then Gracie arrived.  Life sure does have a funny way of showing you that you can plan and plan (and plan some more), but your baby blueprint tends to fly right out the window once the actual baby arrives.  I always swore that I would never…

Co-sleep.  It’s just too dangerous…


No sugar before one…


She will watch very little television and not too close to the TV…


I will not allow toys to take over our house…


It’s all about routine.  No staying up past bedtime…


No junk food allowed...


We must not overindulge.  We don’t want her to become spoiled…


Yes honey, I promise, she won’t be too girly…


She WILL behave…

  
Always the breast, never the bottle…


NO eating in the bed…


Safety first, always…


No standing on the furniture!


Oh, and she will be a mild-mannered, well-behaved little girl...


Moral of the story… never say never.  Some of my favorite memories as a mama were made while breaking my own rules.  ;)

23 comments:

  1. LOVE this! Isn't it funny how we were all on such high horses before having kids?! I think I said most of those things too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I thought I knew it all. Turns out I had a lot of learning to do, haha.

      Delete
  2. This is great! And so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks! These days I try to be mindful of this when I see how parents are with their older kids. I tend to say, "I will never do that" a lot less often...

      Delete
  3. This is the perfect post !
    I have always said that I will NEVER (well never say never) try and judge another mom. Even the mad crazy ones in line at the grocery store threatening their kids. because OMG I've been there.
    It's even worse with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. By the 5th you just hope they live. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that Grace and I will have a few grocery store battles in the coming years... lol.

      Delete
  4. Totally agreed! I wanted to co-sleep and I didn't want to cry it out. I am doing both! I may have to make my own little list like this eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that any mom who doesn't think they have a list of things like this is totally kidding themselves. Even the most perfect parent has to bend the rules every now and then. ;)

      Delete
    2. You are so right! I find it hilarious, what ideals we have of what kind of parent we will be when the baby is still in the womb. And, then things change, because children change and they are individuals and I feel like we just adapt and do what's right for our family and our baby. I absolutely love this list.

      Delete
  5. Word mama!!! Love it!! :)
    Grace is too damn cute for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy. Grace is a cutie and she knows it too!

      Delete
  6. This is adorable! And so so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I know, right! Thanks :)

      Delete
  7. Love this post - I'm the same way as you were, I've already got rules for my future children - they're made out of love, but I've got no doubt our future little ones will break the rules!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will! I still have my "rules" for when Gracie is older... You like I would have learned...

      Delete
  8. Love Love Love this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truth! Love this so much! I laughed the whole way through! Recently I've listened to so many first time mom's who are expecting laying out all of their "I'll never" "I'm going to" and "I won't" lists... and I think to myself just you wait! Its hard to explain to someone that their grand plan will fall by the wayside once their little one arrives...they just have to experience it for themselves. Live and Learn. So many of our joys come from bending the rules a little! Many of the things I swore I wouldn't do, we do! Thanks for sharing this. I'll have to share one of these using our picture of Noah soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all first time moms do it because I know I did... Even so, you're right. There is no explaining away these thoughts to a first time mama. Haha!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...