Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Run for the ZOO


This past weekend my ma and I took the kiddos to our local Zoo fundraiser, Run for the Zoo.  I participated in this event from the age of 8 all the way up to my high school years and loved it!  The only reason I stopped participating in college was that, at that age, drinking and bar hoping seemed far more exciting than raising money for animals, ha!  I was so excited when my mom called to invite us to join her and my nephews and niece, and with G away helping her parents with home repairs, it was the perfect outing for me and baby girl.



Grace had the time of her life, seriously.  She was beaming with a smile from ear to ear from the moment we stepped out of my Jeep until we waived goodbye to all the animals and headed home.  If I haven’t mentioned it before, my daughter is a ham.  She will chat up anyone who will give her the time of day; she waves at anything moving and says hi all day long.  Our fellow Zoo runners were quite smitten with her charm, as were her cousins Rudy and Devin.

Grace doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth (I could barely get her to eat her birthday cupcake), but this picture is proof that you don’t need a popsicle to have a good time! ;)


After completing a 5-mile walk the weekend previous, we opted to do the 1-mile fun run/walk with the kiddos.  Devin was determined to run the mile, so with a little persuading, Rudy agreed to run with him and they were off.  My mamasita and I got some good quality time walking the mile with the girls while catching up on our gossip.  Our trek took us through the back of the Zoo where we got to see the baby elephant that was just born.  There was also a baby kangaroo and a baby giraffe!  With this being Gracie’s first Run for the Zoo, it turned out to be quite the baby palooza. :)


On the run… all day long!


With registration all participants received a t-shirt and admission into the Zoo following the walk.  Our walk began at 11am so we were starving by the time we finished and headed straight to the Zoo café for lunch.  Following lunch, we visited the polar bears, seals, monkeys, safari animals and birds before heading to the gift store.  Grace came home with a new Zoo book to add to her collection and a summer hat.  Our girl’s beautiful brain no longer fits in her 12 month hats so her new hat is very much needed this summer.


Even with the safety net, it made me extremely nervous to have Grace sitting up high with Nani while we checked out the gorillas!  The poor girl only got to enjoy this view for about 2 minutes, lol!
 

The last time Grace visited the Zoo she was only 2 months old so you can imagine what a difference a year made!  I literally had to chase her around the park the entire afternoon and with my ma chasing the other 3 kids and it just being me with Grace, it was a workout... We were both very ready for a nap when we got home.  I was pooped but it was worth it to hear the squeals that came out of my little gal.


I’m so looking forward to next year and I hope this is something we can do annually as a family for years to come!



Summer Bucket List: Visit the Zoo - check!

2 comments:

  1. How much fun is that !
    Her excitement for life shines from her pores. Love her smiling little face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had so much fun! We'll have to do it again soon but with G too. I need help with our little always-on-the-go girl!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...