Friday, June 21, 2013

Laid Off.

I can’t even believe that I’m writing this post and yet I am, and it’s true.  I’ve been laid off at work and my last day is Friday, June 28th.  You may remember reading a post I wrote a few weeks ago talking a bit about my work stress.  At that time, all I was hearing were rumors of potential lay-offs but nothing concrete.  Since then the rumors of downsizing have become reality and myself along with two of my employees and a good friend in another department are being let go.

The levels of sadness and worry that I’ve gone through recently have been, at times, unbearable.  I’ve been with my organization for nearly 8 years and some of my dearest friends are people that I work with.  One of my absolute best friends (and the person who married Georgia and I) is my boss who I am going to miss so very much.  I met G at work and in the 7 years that we’ve been together, I’ve never known what it’s like to not work with her.  I must admit that this is one of the things that makes me the saddest.  People have often told me that it would drive them crazy to work with their spouse.  For me, it’s been pretty great.  It’s been all I’ve known.

The most difficult part of all of this is that our TTC#2 efforts are going to have to be put on hold for a while.  I want to burst into tears just writing this but it is what it is.  We’re pretty sure that G will be able to add me to her insurance but even with that being the case, I can’t really start a new job and then tell my new boss 3 months later that I’m expecting.  I also wouldn’t be eligible for the leave I would need with a new baby for a full year, or so it seems to be the case with the companies I’ve looked into.

One of the greatest things about my job was that along with having awesome fertility benefits, adoption assistance and total LGBT support, it’s a very family friendly organization.  This is the reason that I’ve stayed even with the instability of the company and the two previous rounds of layoffs that have happened in the past two years.  To think that I stuck around for such a long time and worked my butt off only to be let go one month before what was going to be my first IUI, well, it’s pretty shitty.

I know my little family will get through this and we’ll be ok, but for now I’m sad, I’m stressed and I’m feeling angry.  I do believe in the power of prayer and positive energy and I am definitely in need of both right now.  Any prayers, positive thoughts or vibes that you can send our way would be so appreciated.

Must repeat daily.

26 comments:

  1. Sending massive prayers your way. I know you and your little family will be ok in the end, but also know that THIS is shitty. I could sense the excitement of TTC#2 every time I would come to the blog and I am sure this wrench in the plans is shattering. Who knows, maybe you were meant to be a stay at home mom for a while? Hidden blessing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda. I'm trying not to totally give up hope that TTC#2 can still happen this year because you never know. One thing I do know is that I am not made to be a SAHM... so I'm hoping I'm not out of work for too long.

      Delete
  2. I cannot even imagine. I hope that through the darkness a bright light emerges that makes your world just a bit better. I know that that light will poke through at some point. But I know the journey might get a bit bumpy. But in the meantime your family is in my prayers. I will pray that you find some peace tonight and that some of your anxiety can be lifted off your shoulders if even just for a bit. Much love to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the light shines through soon too. I think it's the not knowing what will happen next that's the most difficult for me. I've only applied for one position so far but once I get more applications out there, I'm sure I'll feel more secure. Thank you so much for praying for me (us), it means a lot.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry! I can't even imagine the sadness and stress you feel right now!
    I know what you mean by working with your spouse, we work together as well and I can't imagine having a job without Katie.
    I hope you find something you'll love soon and that you won't have to hold off your first IUI for too long. This might sound totally cheesy, but I believe that everything happens for a reason....even though it sucks right now! Hang in there!
    I'll pray for you and send positive vibes to you and your family! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment, Nadine. I'm praying that our plans to inseminate won't have to be put off for two long. If there was a way for me to be repositioned at my current company that would be ideal. All I need is another year and a half and then I would be happy to start over somewhere else. I don't know that that's even possible but it would be pretty great if it could happen.

      Delete
  4. Ugh... Horrible news!!! I am so sorry! Sending prayers & positive energy your way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, Spring. Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Sending lots of good thoughts to your family and plenty of hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That SUCKS ! HUGE ! on so many levels.
    and I'm sorry.

    I worked with my wife too and I heard the same thing. I loved her so much that being with her 24/7 didn't even feel like enough sometimes :)
    Oh the good ol days.

    Here's to new beginnings...where ever they take you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did it take you a long time to adjust to not working with J when you became a SAHM? I just can't imagine what it will be like to not be able to just walk across the room anytime I need her. :(

      Delete
  7. Oh my! Sorry to hear this! I know you will bounce back and something bigger and better is just around the corner! Thinking about y'all <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry! I know you are strong and you are mamas who will definitely hang in there until you find something better! Darnit! That just sucks! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed that you find something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I"m so sorry that this is happening to your family. It will be ok. Just remember as much as this sucks, everything happens for a reason. It'll all be ok in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boo!!! That sucks!
    I'm so sorry that you all are going through this. I'm sure it's a bunch of stress that you really don't need. :P
    I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that this change ends up being for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much ladies. I appreciate your support and thoughtful words more than you can imagine. I'm so grateful for this space, this online community and everything it does to pick me up when I'm feeling so low. I know in my heart that we're going to be ok and like most of you said, I too believe everything happens for a reason. I don't yet know what that reason is, but I have faith that it's all part of a bigger plan and that we'll be taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, we are so sorry to hear this!! We know you know it'll all work out okay, but don't you hate it when life throws curveballs? You're all in our thoughts though and we'll be awaiting updates!

    I hated having to leave working with S so much - to be honest, even a year and a bit later its still difficult, and we still miss each other every day, but I'm sure one day we and you will all get to be together again!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, thank you for the sweet comment. I remember reading your post about leaving your job with Sarah and how hard that was for both of you. It's encouraging to have read that post and then see where you both are today. The future is so unclear for me right now with my career. I don't know if there's any chance that I'll be reabsorbed or have to start somewhere new. I'm just praying that it will all work out as it should. Happy Pride month. :)

      Delete
  14. SO Sorry to hear your news! :( Sending positive vibes & thoughts for you guys! I understand how you would miss working with your wife,I would miss it too! Keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I so appreciate the prayers. :)

      Delete
  15. I am so sorry to hear this :(. Lots of positive thoughts and prayers for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how awful. I'm sorry! Maybe this will open up some better opportunities for you? Another chapter that you didn't know was coming and you'll look back and wonder why you were so worried. I'm hoping for the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friends. I'm hoping and praying that this happened for a reason and that it WILL lead to a better opportunity. :)

      Delete
  17. Oh No!!! I am a little behind and just now reading this. I am soooo sorry. I will be praying that doors open up for you and that you find something soon. I'm a firm believer in the saying..."Everything happens for a reason." In our journey so many things have happened that we felt like were set backs at the time then as everything unfolded we realized it was all part of a bigger plan. Sending you lots of love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...