Monday, July 22, 2013

Happy Campers


We’re baaaaack… and since I’m doing everything and anything to avoid starting the 5 loads of laundry lining the hallway, or tackle the bags that need to be unpacked, I decided I would share photos of our camping trip instead!  Today is Gracie’s day with her grandma and papa so knowing me, I will likely wait until an hour before I pick her up to find the motivation I need to get started.  In my defense, it’s been a busy couple of days, I hurt my big toe and I’m one tired mama. ;)

{My beautiful little gal.  I just love those eyes.}

We just returned from 3 days of outdoor fun on a beautiful piece of private land overlooking the river in Pecos, New Mexico.  The land belongs to our good friend Anthony and his family and it’s one of three sites we’ve had the pleasure of camping at in recent years.

{Our little camp}

This was Gracie’s second camping trip (first as a toddler) and all in all she did great!  Prior to the trip we received weather reports showing a high chance of rain locally but we crossed our fingers that the rain wouldn’t follow us up North.  Once we were loaded up and on our way out of town, the clouds opened and we drove through a rainstorm like none I’ve seen in years. But like most NM weather, it came and went in 15 minutes.  Unfortunately, those 15 minutes turned out to be just enough time to send Grace into hysterics.  She fussed and cried for the next HOUR of the drive, which was a bit hellish for her mamas.  We tried singing… we told her stories… I tried sitting in the back seat and gave her books and snacks, but the only thing that seemed to work was practicing her counting together.  So, nearly the entire drive to Pecos sounded something like this – “one, one! two, two! three, three! four, four! five, five! YAY!” and this repeated more times than I could count.

{I took this picture of G as she drove across the river bridge.  I had driven down before to check the road and I just about had a heart attack as I watched her drive across… even though it was perfectly safe, yikes.}

{This is my favorite picture from our trip.  My loves.}


Thankfully that was our only toddler meltdown and following the commute we got to spend the weekend with a happy and adventurous little bean who was on her best behavior!  She totally chilled in the carrier anytime G and I both needed to do stuff.  At times Georgia would cook with Grace chillin on her back.  I cleaned and set up camp with the bean strapped to me and honestly, I think she loves her carrier because it allows her to be eye level with everyone.  Considering we found it at a second hand baby store for $15 bucks – we LOVE it too!


Grace got to meet three new little friends who kept her pretty occupied.  Two of the kiddos were twins and were too little to play but another gal, we'll call her M, became Gracie’s BF.  I took pictures on day one but didn’t really take the camera or our phones out for the rest of the weekend. For one, we had no reception (which was nice!) and being totally hands free meant that we could hike around, go down to the river, play with the dogs and get dirty without worrying about any electronic devices.  Anthony snapped a few pictures of our trip as well and was nice enough to share them with us.


We took a scenic Jeep tour of the Pecos to see where the forest fires had recently hit.  It was sad to see how much of the mountain had been ravaged by the flames but it’s nothing new for NM.  Being in the high desert and with as dry as it’s been these past couple of years, fires have been a lot more common.  I’m just glad we’ve had so much rain this month to bring some of that life back!

{The bean seems to be a bit skeptical of selfie pics, lol!}


Our adventures in camping with a toddler went way better than I thought they would.  The rest of our time was spent eating tons of delish BBQ (thanks babe), relaxing and following baby girl as she toured the grounds.  She took her regular naps and went to bed at her usual time even with us adults staying up just outside the camper.  I was so proud of her! :)


Pecos, NM 2013 and Jemez, NM 2012.  What a difference a year can make.  Our little camper is growing way too fast!


Oh… and Grace had McDonalds for the first time.  Driving home from camping and limited options = Gracie’s first Happy Meal.  I will say, the tiny fries were adorable!
 

Summer Bucket List: Go Camping – check!

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you girls had a great time :)! Love the adorable photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Gracie did great - lots of fun. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like so much fun!!! We are heading to NY next month & renting a camper in the campground that Donnas parents live in during the summer, lol... It's not real camping in the wilderness but its more outdoor time than any of us are use to on a regular basis. We did it last year with 3 non walkers, should be exciting this time with 3 crazy 2 year olds!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like so much fun! I can't believe that you were able to do it with three babies... it was hard enough for us to keep track of Grace. She is always on the go now so that kept us busy.

      I'm sure you guys are going to have a blast!

      Delete
  3. How awesome to have the access to such beautiful land.
    We used to have a tent trailer. I loved our little pop up.

    Gracie seems to adjust well too new situations. How lucky for you guys.....I see years and years of fun adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does pretty good. We took her play yard and she cried the first time we plopped her in it but that was the only time she cried. I was amazed at how well she did!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a fantastic time! I can't wait to take M camping. We just took him on his first holiday and he loved it. I think I might write our own summer bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure little monkey would have a great time! And there's still time to create your own bucket list. In my book, Fall doesn't start until October. :)

      Delete
  5. What an awesome trip!!! I'm so jealous of your baby backpack! We need one like that so bad! It looks like ya'll had an amazing time : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out your local 2nd hand baby boutiques. We bought our carrier for $15 and the one we were checking out and planning to purchase new was over a hundred bucks! It was quite the find!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...