Saturday, July 13, 2013

I don’t know what’s up with my “lady parts”? HELP!

Warning: you are about to read about my reproductive system, my menstrual cycle, my urine and other non-glamorous stuff.  Proceed with caution…

I’m not sure what’s up with my body these days but it’s really starting to piss me off.  I’ve gone to baby.center.com and other online portals to try and find answers to my questions, but I’m usually left feeling more confused after reading things online.  So... If after reading this post you have any insight or personal experience that may shed some light on what’s going on with me, please share!  I would SO appreciate the feedback.

So here is my situation and this may be repeat information for some of you.  I have PCOS but I have very few symptoms.  I’m not loosing my hair, I’ve never had an ovarian cyst, the blood work I had done a month ago all come back within normal ranges and I’m not pre-diabetic.  I DO have irregular periods though.  I actually went without a period at all from around 2009 to early 2011.  After dropping 60 pounds my periods came back.  “Shark Week” (otherwise known as Aunt Flo) came monthly for over a year and has since been (for the most part) regular.

I was concerned that I didn’t ovulate so last month I began peeing on a stick, everyday.  From the start of my last period, which was May 28th, I peed on a stick every morning and finally got the YES that I ovulated on CD33.  I was concerned because it seemed odd that it would take me 33 days to ovulate but I’ve since learned that for every woman it’s different and some do ovulate very late into their cycle. 

Here is where it get’s confusing.  I purchased a different brand of ovulation tests once my pack of 20 ran out because the brand, “ANSWER” was the only one my local grocer had.  These tests were different and not nearly as fancy as the digital ones I previously used when I got the YES.  I started peeing on the new little sticks and on Thursday I noticed that the test line was nearly or seemed as dark as the reference line.  I thought to myself, this can’t be possible… I can’t be ovulating again when I haven’t even had a period since I last ovulated.  At this point it had been 45 days since I started my last period.  So, naturally I didn’t trust the cheapy little stick and ran out the next morning to buy a pack of Advanced Digital tests from Clearblue.  Friday morning I took a test and got a flashing SMILEY face.  Again I took a test first thing this morning and again got a flashing smiley face.  According to the instructions this would mean that I am, in fact ovulating.

How is this even possible?  Is it possible to ovulate a second time, two weeks later?  And, keep in mind that I’m technically on CD47, so I haven’t had a period since late May.  Ugh.  What’s wrong with me? :(  

I guess my more pressing question is – what can my RE do to get this under control?  I don’t have my follow-up appointment with Dr. C until August and I feel like I’m going to drive myself crazy in the meantime.  I’ve heard of things an RE can give you to get you to ovulate at a specific time and then inseminate.  I don’t remember what it’s called because we never had to do anything like this with G.  She ovulated like clockwork every month.  Do any of you know anything about this?  I’ve also heard of people being put on birth control to regulate periods?  Anyway, I’m starting to ramble so I’ll sign off.  Sorry for this long run-on post… I’m just so confused.

10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I can imagine how confusing this must me. I never really did OPk's, so I won't be much help there. When we did IUI's, we did Clomid and then ultrasounds to check follicle growth and then a trigger shot when the follicles were big enough. The trigger shot will release the eggs and they inseminate 24-36 hours later. As you know, this didn't work for me, but it does for many others and takes the guessing out of it. I feel like OPK's are not super reliable and when I spend so much money for an IUI, I rather use the trigger shot.
    That's just my 2 cents! :)
    I hope you will get some answers from your doctor next month..is there a way to email or call them in the meantime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nadine, the more I read the more it seems people don't really rely on OPK's. It's weird to me because I always thought that was the best way to predict ovulation. The last time I had an u/s I had a ton of follicles but they were all really small. I think I'm going to need clomid as well. Hope you all are doing well!

      Delete
  2. OPK's aren't very reliable. I have a friend that was using them & they said she ovulated when he was in fact already pregnant (with triplets!!!) my sister also had the same thing happen with the baby she is currently pregnant with.
    Hopefully your RE will have some answers for you but yes there are ways for them to control your cycle & when you ovulate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he will too! With just my two months of experience charting and doing daily OPK's, I don't feel that I can really trust that I'm going to be able to accurately determine when I ovulate. I may need to go with the more controlled (thus, more likely to work) option.

      Delete
  3. I have heard of people ovulating twice in one month and also stress delaying actual ovulation right at the last minute. You have to admit that you have lots going on right now.
    Your RE will have the answers that you need - they can totally take control of your cycle.
    Did you find that book I mentioned before? I'm also reading the fertility diet right now, but it's not a thrilling read - the low carb diet holds little appeal to this pasta and bread loving girl ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, you're right about that. My life has been a bit hectic these days. ;) I'm looking forward to our next appointment with our RE but I'm hoping he doesn't rush us out as fast as he's done before. I have lots of questions!

      I ordered the book you suggested on Amazon so it should arrive soon. Oh, and I too am a bread loving girl!

      Delete
  4. I hate OPKs. I have completely regular cycles ... at least pre-childbirth ... things are still sorting themselves back out now. Anyhow in the early stages of TTC #1 I turned to OPKs to track my cycles. I could never get a postive OPK. Never. It was so frustrating. But then when we went to the RE we just did monitored cycles with clomid and then trigger shots to force ovulation. I am sure I was ovulating before the monitored cycles but for some reason I could never get a + OPK. So I think monitored cycles might be your best thing. You don't even have to use fertility meds ... maybe just U/S monitoring and a trigger shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that monitored cycles are going to be the way to go. A trigger shot was what I was thinking of but couldn't remember what it was called, so thanks! I'm hesitant to do clomid because of the number of multiples in my family. I could handle twins but anything more than that freaks me out. I hope you're right and a U/S + trigger shot is all that will be needed! Thanks. :)

      Delete
  5. We did not use OPKs So I don't have much feed back to share other then I have not heard great things about them! Our doctor felt U/S Monitoring would be more reliable because all women ovulate at different times in their cycle . We are glad we did the U/S because we found out that I ovulate early (Cycle day 12). We did not use any meds or the trigger shot..just the U/S monitoring and an old fashion IUI. I know that the U/S monitoring is more of a pain in the butt because you have to go in on certain days and sometimes a few days in a row, not to mention you have to get probed up your whowho...but I feel it was 110% worth it!!! Best of luck ladies! I know it's hard not to stress right now but it will work out..I just feel it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be in the same boat only I ovulate very late. Thanks so much for the well wishes!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...