Sunday, September 8, 2013

Labor Day Weekend: Movies on the Lawn

For Labor Day weekend this year we all got together for our first “Movie on the Lawn” at my mom’s house.  This is something that my ma has wanted to host for years but purchasing the movie screen was just not possible considering the cheapest one she could find was $400 bucks… so not happening.  That was until a fabulous sale came our way and she snagged a very nice outdoor movie screen for less than $200, woot!

For our first viewing we decided to go with a Pixar flick, Monsters Inc. and invite all the little kiddos we could think of to join in our first ever "Movie on the Lawn".  We came with the bean, of course and were joined by Gracie’s cousins, a few of my cousins and their kids and some friends.  The day before was beautiful out, not a cloud in the sky, so we were all excited for our night under the stars.  

As luck would have it, the wind picked up on our movie night and there was a chance of rain but there was no way we were rescheduling, so my bro and Georgia set everything up hoping for the best but preparing for the elements just in case.  A few extra stakes anchoring the screen in the ground and a tarp to cover the movie screen, if needed, were on standby.

 

My ma-in-law, Gracie's Gaga, joined us a little before the movie along with my mom’s neighbor to chow down on some fajitas and while we ate, the girls were just too excited with everything going on to sit still.  I think we maybe got Grace to take two bites of chicken before she was off playing in her playhouse with Mia.


These girls are seriously lucky to have a Nani who loves to entertain.  To have grass to run in, a jungle gym, swings, a playhouse, trees to climb and twinkling lights hanging in the leaves, it’s a very fun place to play and grow.  Thanks Nani!!


Super grainy picture but just look at their faces.  Even the littles were so into the movie.  They would actually sit still for about 20 minute at a time before getting up to run around or check out the movie projector.  As my friend Sara said, "it's nights like these that you remember when you grow up."  I couldn't agree more. :)


The rest of our evening was spent eating popcorn, (well everyone except the girls) and watching almost all of Monsters Inc. before it started to sprinkle.  We took a quick movie break to move the screen under the big tree in my mom’s backyard and wait for the sprinkling to stop before putting on the second flick, Return to Oz.  Grace didn’t make it through the second movie because it was way past her bedtime but we did let her stay up until nearly 10pm and she had a blast.

The first “official” day of Fall is on September 22nd this year.  This means that we all have exactly 2 weeks of summer left to enjoy.  I’m thinking my little family has checked off everything on our Summer Bucket List that we’re going to have time to check off this year.  Considering we ended up doing 23 of the 29 activities we set out to do, I would say we had a pretty action packed summer. :)

Did you do all the fun stuff you wanted to this summer season?  Any absolute favorite summer activities or traditions that you started this year?  I'd love to hear all about it.  I hope everyone had a fun Labor Day!


Summer Bucket List: Go to the Movies – check!


12 comments:

  1. This is such an amazing idea!! I know the kids had a blast. I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nani gets all the credit. :) I had never even thought of having an outdoor movie night. I'm looking forward to many more! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. We've done the same thing before but used a white sheet and it works great! Outdoor movies are so fun! This looked like an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never done it before but it was so much fun! I'll have to keep the white sheet in mind should G and I ever host our own movie in the backyard.

      Delete
  3. You're making the best memories EVER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful family you have ... And so much fun!!! :)

    wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found us Ashley, thanks! I look forward to visiting your blog.

      Delete
  5. This is freaking awesome! We don't have anywhere to do this, but it looks like so much fun! I can't wait to start a 'drive in' movie night with Punky and her friends when she's big enough for them. I found it on Pinterest and I love it! Just let them decorate cardboard box cars and sit in them in the livingroom for a movie. I'm just in love with these ideas you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cardboard cars for movies at home sounds like the cutest idea! I'm going to have to steal that one in a few years.

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...