Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Our Little Mermaid


Well, I would have to say that this years sewing project was a huge success!  I mean, have you ever seen a cuter mermaid?  I realize I’ve only sewn two costumes in my day, and Gracie’s lion costume last Halloween was my first attempt, but this one is my favorite so far. ;)


I made sure to check the level of difficulty on the pattern this year before purchasing and with that in mind, here’s a quick tip for all you first time sewers.  Don’t pick an “advanced” pattern for your first project… It will take forever and you’ll end up making yourself crazy!  I went with intermediate this time, which made things much easier.  This is the pattern I chose but as you can tell by the pictures, I ended up completely redesigning the bottom half and went with tulle instead.  Georgia and I figured that there was no way Gracie was going to walk around with a mermaid fin tied to her wrist all night.


Last year, with it being the bean’s first Halloween, we had professional pictures taken of our little lion.  The photographs were way more expensive than we anticipated and I ended up having to edit the lighting because they were so dark.  Because of this, we decided to have a do-it-yourself photo shoot at home this year!
  

These are by no means studio quality photos but I think they came out pretty darn cute!  It’s amazing what you can do with a few sheets, some tulle and a couple of seashells.  I will happily take a $20 photo shoot over a $250 shoot any day. :)


Happy Halloween friends.  I can’t wait to see all of your adorable kiddos in their costumes!


And in totally unrelated news, Georgia accidently taught Grace how to say SHIT today… We’re trying to ignore it in hopes that she’ll forget her new word.  If she doesn’t, there’s going to be an adorable Little Mermaid running around yelling shit this Halloween… Great. ;)


Here are a few more favorites!


Making jewelry wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be!



12 comments:

  1. ADORABLE! And that costume is SO not the homemade I'm used to - Sarah once dressed up as a witch for Halloween as a child, and her mum put her in a trash bag with a belt. Seriously. You're the best moms ever!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I would love to see a picture of the trash bag costume, haha! Thank you for the sweet comment.

      Delete
  2. This is the cutest!!!! I love, seriously LOVE, the bottom part! Well done. The pictures are great too! We gave up on professional photographers when Little Monster was around 2. It was just too much expense for a "not sure if he will cooperate" situation. I have discovered that people we give photos to seem to like the un-professional pictures best anyway, and I will say, some of these of Gracie are pretty top notch quality. Be proud!

    PS-Kris said that she is a novice with the hat knitting, but if you tell her what color you would like and measure Gracie's head (sewing measuring tape around the head, right above the ears) and let us know those measurements she will happily send a slouch hat off to Gracie in New Mexico :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I totally agree! Most of our absolute favorite pictures are everyday snapshots.

      I would LOVE, love, love it if Kris would make Grace a hat!!! I'll measure her head this weekend. Please tell Kris, thanks so much. :) :)

      Delete
  3. YOU DID AWESOME MAMA ! The costume rocks and the pictures turned out darling. I love the one of her with her arms raised in the air.
    Cute little peanut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K! The one with her arms raised is a top 3 favorite! Hope you and the fam had a great Halloween.

      Delete
  4. Sooooo cute!!!! You gals are so dang creative! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable!!!
    We are skipping the professional pics this season too & only going to get them for family photos once a year, can't photograph ourselves, lol... It does get way too expensive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Spring! We will be operating on the one photo shoot a year plan too. I don't have enough walls to hang more pictures than that. ;)

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...