Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013: The Highs & Lows

I am going to be very honest here and say that I am not at all sad to see 2013 go… It’s not that it was a bad year; it’s just that it wasn’t all that great of a year either.  I do realize that coming off of 2012, any year would pale in comparison… Our previous year as a family began with baby showers and tons of celebration as we prepared to become mamas for the first time!  We were lucky enough to spend 3 whole months together in our nest at home with our beautiful daughter following her birth and it was, in a word, magical.  Watching her learn and grow from a tiny infant to a baby with her own unique personality was beyond amazing.  2012 was a year I will never forget. 

I feel somewhat guilty comparing 2013 to 2012 because I do realize that while 2013 was not one of my favorite years, there was some good in there.  We were all healthy and mostly happy.  We had the comfort of a home we love, a family that loves and supports us and we had each other.  I do realize that these things alone are more than many families can say they were blessed with this past year.    

In thinking back on 2013, there are a few highpoints that seem to stand out.

* We were finally able to LEGALLY wed in our home state of New Mexico.  We have now been married 3 times, in 3 different countries. :)

* Our family was featured on the most watched news station in NM in a piece focused on gay rights legislation in the state.

* We celebrated the first birthday of our beautiful little girl in a Circus themed extravaganza that she really seemed to enjoy.

* DOMA was struck down and LGBT rights were extended in various ways to states across the US.

* And most exciting of all, we officially began our TTC#2 journey with my first IUI in December and we are absolutely giddy at the thought of giving Grace a sibling!

The significance of these things is not lost on me.  I am so thankful for each and every blessing we experienced.

Having said that, there were also the things that made 2013 a tough year…

* As many of you know, I lost my job unexpectedly and was out of work for 5 of 12 months this past year.  I was laid off one month before I was scheduled to have my first IUI pushing IUI #1 back 6 months.  This was especially difficult during the holiday season as I watched several friends announce their pregnancies knowing that had we inseminated when we planned, even if it took several IUI’s, there was a high likelihood that we too would be making our big announcement.  Face.book was not my friend during this time. :(  I believe that everything happens for a reason but it was still the most challenging 5 months I can remember having in my adult life. 

* It was an expensive year and coming off of 2012 and all of the medical bills we had finally paid off, this was the last thing we needed.  From January to December, we had many unexpected expenses.  First our washing machine washed its last load and had to be replaced followed by the death of our dryer just a few months later.  G finally had to break down and replace all 4 of her tires and I had to replace my breaks.  Our air conditioner literally imploded and caved in resulting in damage that was beyond repair and I broke our beautiful sleigh bed that is only a few years old… $3500+ in unplanned expenses in one year can take it’s toll, especially when you’re operating on one income for half of the year.

* We didn’t get to take a big family vacation, like we’ve done every summer since me and G got together, due to finances.  I know that may sound trivial to some, but as someone who grew up traveling quite often with my family, it’s something that I’ve always wanted to carry on with our kiddos.  I’m hoping we can finally take Gracie to visit my sis in Vancouver, BC this year.

* G and I experienced some growing pains together as parents and had several really tough months that we had to work through.  Thankfully we did and things are much better now.

* Lastly, we purchased a used Jeep following G’s car accident only to find that it had MANY issues that we weren’t made aware of… heating/cooling problems, the check engine light blinking constantly, non-functional lights, a leaky roof, etc.  The Jeep looked beautiful and we purchased it from a family friend so we thought we were in good hands… not so much.

I write these things not to wallow in self-pity, but rather as a reminder that no matter how shitty a year can seem, you get through it.  I’m fairly certain that this will happen again several times during me and G’s life together.  Some years will be amazing while others will be years that do nothing but teach us life lessons.  I’m hopeful for all that has yet to unfold in the New Year.  I’m hopeful that my body can do what it was designed to do and make us a baby.  I’m hopeful that things will continue to get better at work in my current position and that I will eventually get my groove back.  And I know that we will make new and wonderful memories with our beautiful little gal over the next 12 months.  So see you later 2013 and HELLO 2014!!

I know that most people tend to be very anti-resolutions when it comes to New Year's but not me!  I think of a resolution as a goal and nothing more really. My New Year's resolution this year is to have more focused family time.  To do this, I am going to put my cell phone in our room every night when I get home from work and I’m not going to bring it out until after we put Grace to bed.  I LOVE my iphone but I can see that it’s a huge distraction that I really want to eliminate when I’m with the bean, especially considering the limited time I have with her in the evenings now that I’ve re-entered the workforce.  This isn’t going to be easy for me so wish me luck!  If you are a resolution maker, what is your New Year's resolution?  I always love to hear the things people come up with. :)

And now I’ll leave you with our New Year's baby!  

Happy 2014 friends.


10 comments:

  1. I can relate, 2013 was rather "meh" for me too. :/ 2014 will be great, I just know it, hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! Bring it on 2014!!!

      Delete
  2. May 2014 bring you tons of love, happiness and good fortune :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ashleigh! I wish the same for you guys. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year. This post was spot on for me. We shared similar positives in regards to movement in equality and also some of the negatives, working on relationship and job front. Here's to a happier 2014 with far more positives and hopefully another bean for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2013 seems to have been a stinker of a year for most! Cheers to a new year, new beginning! Thanks for the baby dust. :)

      Delete
  4. I had a scale out while reading....and it was DEFINITELY leaning towards the highs. :)
    2014 is going to be a super exciting and fun year for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like it will too! Thanks K!

      Delete
  5. 2013 left a bad taste in my mouth but honestly I have really good vibes about 2014. I think only good things for you and your beautiful family. Thanks for being brave and sharing that sometimes things aren't always great...its refreshing to know everything isn't sunshine and rainbows. And even more refreshing to know great things are in your future! Good luck I've been thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same feeling about the new year. Thank you for the sweet comment! I wish you and your wife baby dust and the best of luck in your TTC journey, because it really is a journey. My heart tells me that we're both going to be waddling around pregnant at some point this year. :) :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...