Sunday, January 26, 2014

And she’s not even 2…

Umm, where did my perfectly well-behaved baby go?  Has anyone seen her?  She pops her head out every now and then, but my lord is this kiddo becoming her own person, more and more everyday.  It’s unbelievable.  These days we hear, “no mama!” and “no mommy!” on the regular… So that’s something we find ourselves addressing daily.  She’s also still pinching and when she does, it’s usually on the cheeks and it hurts!  Thankfully she doesn’t hit or pinch other kiddos (just her moms) but still, it’s something we’re working on.  Right now our course of action is to make sure she understands that pinching hurts and apologizes anytime the pinchers come out.  She usually takes it a step further caressing our cheeks while saying, “gentle” or “soft touch”.  It seems she’s slowly getting the idea.

I’m noticing a big change in her diet as well, as in, she will only eat what she wants to eat and even if you put a bite in her mouth – she WILL spit it out if she doesn’t want it.  We’ve been extremely lucky in the eating department thus far because the Bean really does eat everything and she LOVES veggies and fruit of any kind.  This was the case until about 6-8 weeks ago anyway, right around the time she decided to start letting her opinions be known and it appears she has lots of opinions about most things. ;)  At first we thought she was picking at her food and not eating as good because she was sick over the holidays.  Fast-forward nearly two months and still our meal times are just not as easy as they used to be.  There are evenings when I find myself throwing half of Gracie’s dinner away and sometimes she doesn’t even eat half.  On the flip side of that, I have friends who have told me stories of their kids launching plates full of food across the kitchen or going on 3 day hunger strikes so I know it could be way worse.  I also know it’s possible I’ll be writing a post about Grace launching her plate full of food across the kitchen in the near future, so I’m just going to change the subject rather than jinx us…

As I wrote in a post last week, we’ve transitioned Grace to her big girl bed and at first she did amazing.  I’m talkin', in her bed and asleep within minutes day and night – zero issues.  This lasted a few days but by Thursday, the excitement of the “big girl bed” wore off and today marked day three of the battle of the naps.  We put her down and she gets right back up.  Yesterday, we had to put her back in bed 6 TIMES at naptime... The Bean eventually won that round and we gave in.  Today looked to be a repeat of yesterday but then I remembered reading a blog post from 30 Fingers, 30 Toes a few months back, where my fellow blogging mama, Spring, wrote that she laid on the floor next to her sons beds when they transitioned and without talking would just sit up and put them right back in bed anytime her boys would crawl out.  I decided to give it a try and it worked!  I’m sure Grace was wondering what the heck mama was doing laying on the ground next to her bed, but when she climbed out, I put her right back in and laid down.  I had to do this twice but within 13 minutes she was passed out.  Yes, I time these kinds of things, lol.

As G and I were getting ready for bed last night, I told her that I felt like we scolded Grace a lot during the day (because we did) and I just hate that feeling.  On the one hand, I know that it’s our job to teach our daughter what is and is not acceptable behavior.  We’re the ones who have to teach her how treat others and how to get along in the world.  On the other hand, I have to remind myself that she is only 22 months old and having to learn and digest new things every single day.  I imagine that on some days, that must get exhausting for these little ones.

It seems that just when I’m at the height of frustration, tired and ready to give myself a time out, Grace will reach her little arms up and say one of her many adorable phrases like, “hold you mama”, which means, please stop what you’re doing and hold me mama.  It’s always on the days when I’m feeling like she’s pushed all of my buttons and I’m worn out when she will do or say something that will leave me in awe of just how smart she is or what an incredibly sweet little girl we have.  As a mama, I am so very thankful for these sweet reminders.

“you will never have this day with your children again.
tomorrow, they’ll be a little older than they were today.
this day is a gift.
breathe and notice.
smell and touch them;
study their faces
and little feet and pay attention.
relish the charms of the present.
enjoy today, mama.
It will be over before you know it”.
~ Jen Hatmaker



11 comments:

  1. I think the food thing is so frustrating! E just eats whatever she wants--mostly fruit and veg, but not many grains and no meat at all (which is fine, just weird to me). We haven't been good at forcing her to eat our food--we just give her what we know she'll eat, which will probably come to bite us eventually, but until we can reason with her it seems like a lost cause. And no pinching here, but we get a lot of finger waving and 'don't tell me!' Of course we tell her that we're her mamas and we'll tell her whatever we want. It's funny, but also so aggravating! Just a warmup for the year to come, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here with the no meat. We can get her to eat sausage and ham but that's about it. We've never made Grace a separate dinner but we basically make the same 5-6 dinner dishes over and over so she definitely has her favorites. I've heard that 3 years old is much harder than 2 so you're probably right - we're being groomed for what's to come...

      Delete
  2. Oh you and me both, Mama. Our little gal is definitely asserting herself. She's actually eating MORE than she used to, but she's all about the tantrums and the throwing herself on the floor when she doesn't get her way. SO, you are not alone! And to think, people keep talking about "Terrifying Threes" and we haven't even officially made it to TWO yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peyton and Grace have been pretty similar in so many ways so I'm thinking the throwing herself on the floor tantrum style must be next, lol. ;)

      Delete
  3. What a cutie she is …. food tantrums and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad my toddler bed transition rumblings were useful, lol :)
    I still have to do it every once in a while but I think it's because we are reaching the end of our napping days, I'm so so sad & very very afraid of losing our naps!!!
    As we approach age 3 the food thing has only gotten worse :( I use to be able to rely on a few select things that I knew the boys would eat but now they don't even like those. I have a non meat eater who will eat most veggies & fruits but I 2 who pretty much refuse everything right now. I've stopped trying to figure out what they will eat & figure they won't starve themselves for too long before they decided to eat what is in front of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very useful - thank you, thank you! I'm terrified of the day Grace no longer naps. That 1.5-3 hours is my mama sanity time. :-/

      Delete
  5. All I can say is that I feel your pain on the tantrum front. It is tough! Negotiating with a 2 year old is enough to drive you insane! Hope the naps improve. We had issues when the girls first made the switch. Teagan didn't nap for a while either (but really needed it). Keep with it - she'll get it soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quote! So very true. I needed to see that. Lately with some stuff that has happened I have felt so negative but I need to be in the moment and cherish those moments with my peanut :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too fall into the negative every now and then. I think that's what I love so much about the blogging community. Any time I'm feeling low, you guys bring me back up!. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...