Monday, January 20, 2014

Gracie’s 1st Soccer Practice!

This past weekend Grace had her first soccer practice and I’m pretty sure it was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.  Georgia and I have been looking for activities to enroll the Bean in that will allow her to have more socialization with kiddos her age, but that’s tough when your little one isn’t quite two years old yet.  Our local community center has weekly karate and toddler tumbling classes that we’re dying to put Grace in but you have to be 2.5 years or older.  The same can be said for the art class we’ve looked into at our local museum and the aquarium learning group.  I’ve got to say, I was pretty surprised to find that there are so few things for little tykes to do around here.  After a few weeks of searching, Georgia finally came across an activity that not only allows toddlers to start as young as 18 months, but encourages parent involvement as well and with that, Gracie's first SOCCER season officially began!

After we registered Grace for the season and in the days leading up to her first practice, I started feeling super nervous.  I was nervous to see how she would do being around that many toddlers, without any familiar little faces for the first time, but I was also nervous to meet other parents!  I even asked G a few days before the Bean’s first practice, “do you think the other parents are going to like us?” lol!  She of course laughed at my question but this was going to be our first parents meeting other parents situation and I know it’s silly to be nervous about something like that but it felt like we were preparing for our first day of school or something. ;)  


Turns out that we I really had nothing to worry about because the parents and other kiddos were all very sweet.  The hour was filled with various games that focused on listening, balance and just generally running around in the same direction as a team, which was the funniest thing to watch.  Grace was the smallest little kiddo in the class and when the team sat down for circle time I was surprised by the questions the coach asked each of the kids.  Everyone was asked to share their name, favorite color and to show the team their favorite flag on the wall.  Grace did pretty good sharing her name but didn’t answer the other two questions.  Turns out that Georgia and I put our little gal in the wrong class… she spent her first practice in the 2.5 to 3.5 year old group rather than the group she was supposed to be in, 18-24 months, LOL.  Once I realized that she was able to do almost everything the kids a year older than her could do, I was even more proud of our baby girl!!


We signed up for 10 weeks so we’re so excited to see everything our gal will learn over these next couple of months!  After just one practice Grace has talked about soccer several times and has pulled her soccer ball out from behind the couch to “practice”, so I’m sure she’s going to love it! 

In other exciting news, we transitioned Grace to her “big girl bed” this weekend.  It’s something we intended to do weeks ago but following several weekends of trying to find the perfect bed rail to no avail, we finally bit the big one and decided to just put pillows on the ground beneath her crib per the suggestion of several other IG and blogger mama friends.  I'm happy to report that it worked out great!  When we brought her in the room to see her big girl bed for the first time she yelled, “OH, I LOVE IT!” before immediately diving in, haha!  We made a huge fuss about what a big deal it was that she had her very own bgb and told her that when bedtime came she would need to stay in her bed or we would have to take it away.  It would appear that our threats worked like a charm because in two days, two bedtimes and two naps, I’ve only had to put her back in bed once.


It’s funny how we as parents can build something up in our minds and think it’s going to be incredibly difficult and then it turns out to be no big deal.  I love when that happens.

I’m not sure if it’s the daily explosion of verbal development we’re getting from the Bean, or that fact that she’s now on a soccer team OR that she’s officially sleeping in a big girl bed but my gosh, she seems to be growing at a rapid speed.  Can someone please tell me how to get her to slow down a bit?

Here’s a little more cuteness from family brunch following Gracie’s first practice and our nephew’s basketball game.  She sure does love her cousins and Nani!


The cutest little soccer player I ever did see. :)


14 comments:

  1. I am so incredibly jealous you have activities that start before the age of 3!!! We have searched high & low looking for activities to enroll the boys in but NOTHING starts before age 3 :( on the note we are super excited for the boys to start soccer this fall! :)
    You so have one adorable little soccer player!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to learn that they don't have more for little ones. I guess we're lucky to have soccer for now, better than nothing I guess! I can't wait for the boys to start soccer! They're going to be so flippin' cute. :)

      Delete
  2. Holy cuteness! I can imagine how hard it must have been to find an activity for her!
    Good job on transitioning her into her big girl bed, sounds like she was ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, SO CUTE! Also, I am inspired by your bgb transition. We haven't been brave enough to do it yet, but obviously the day is coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's hard but try not to worry too much about the bgb transition. We started the process a few weeks ago mounting her furniture to the walls and baby proofing everything else. We then started getting her excited for the bgb and by the time the day came, she was more than ready! Good luck. I'm sure she'll do great. :)

      Delete
  4. I flipping LOVE the picture of Gracie with her hands in for a team chant. Those little piggy tails just about kill me every time I come here! Oh and of course you know I love the pic of her smiling real big at Hot Nani ;)

    Little Monster has done indoor soccer, and he is currently in swimming, but we are trying to decide between outdoor soccer or tball for the spring. Tough decision, I will tell you. I mean do I want to spend an hour watching him run back and forth on a field completely ignoring the ball whizzing by or watch him sitting in the outfield picking daisies while home runs soar past his head. Yup, tough call indeed. Lol.

    As for the bed...super cute!!!! A trick that we used was to get a swim noodle and cut it to size, the length of the bed, and put it under the sheet closest to the edge and tuck sheet in. It stays in place, is softer than a hard rail, easier for little ones to climb over to get in and out, and believe it or not, that little noodle sticking up actually prevents falling out of bed. Little Monster is a big guy and it kept him in just fine. We even take a couple with us on vacation to put on large beds to stop falling out. Just another Blog Mama suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The all hands in picture is my favorite too! It's going to be tough for you guys to choose between soccer and tball... both are equally cute! The one bonus with tball is that you get to eat sunflower seeds while watching your kiddo chase butterflies in the outfield, lol.

      THANK YOU for the swim noodle idea! I didn't have time to stop by Target on the way home but I rolled a blanket and tucked it under her fitted sheet and so far it's doing the trick, yay. :)

      Delete
  5. Love the pictures at soccer. That's pretty much all that matters is getting cute pictures at this age :) h ah a
    Nathan played this last session and we finally said NO MORE. He would be running and stop because he saw something shiny in the bark/turf stuff. I swear he could find a sequin in a hay stack that kid. ha ha

    Cute new room. Love Amanda's idea with the swim noodle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we're basically doing this whole soccer thing for the adorable photos, haha! I'm excited to see how she does with kids her own age this next weekend. :)

      Delete
  6. So cute! Love the pic's!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...