Wednesday, February 5, 2014

{DIY Valentine’s Cards} and a little TTC update

In case you haven’t noticed by recent posts, I’m currently doing everything and anything I can to keep my mind busy and distracted from this whole baby making thing.  I haven’t quite decided what all I want to share about our journey to TTC #2, meaning, I’m not sure if I feel ok about sharing pregnancy news on the ol’blog as soon as we get our BFP, or if it feels right to wait until we get through the first trimester like we did with Gracie.  One reason for this is that finding out that you’re pregnant is really just the beginning.  You then have to make it through the beta tests, the heartbeat ultrasound and all of the other milestones a mama passes before she’s in the clear, so to speak.  I can’t begin to tell you how thankful I was that we held off on sharing the news when Georgia got pregnant the first time.  Having a miscarriage was hard enough to get through without the added pain of having to write a blog post about the fact that we were no longer expecting.  I’m definitely not trying to welcome any negative energy in our attempts with me, but once you’ve gone through something like that, it’s hard not to be just a little bit guarded.

On the other hand, I would LOVE to scream from the rooftops that Gracie is going to be a big sister the minute we find out.  I would especially love to share it here with all of you who have been through so much of the same experiences in creating your own families, and have been there for me since we started TTC #2 nearly 10 months ago.  Reading posts about TTC have answered so many questions for me and have helped me in my own journey, so much so that it makes me feel like I owe it to other families to share our story from conception as so many of you have.  What to do, what to do… I have no idea.  I would love to hear what my other blogging mamas did in this situation?

Anyhow, that’s just a glimpse of some of the thoughts that have been running on a loop in my head these days.  Thanks for listening.

and now we will return to our regular broadcasting…

If you’re still looking for a fun project to do with the kiddos this Valentine’s Day, this one is as easy as they come.  Chances are, you have all or most of the supplies needed in your house right now!

Here’s what you’ll need ~


- Toilet paper rolls.  I know we all have at least one of these lying around.
- Blank cards or construction paper or even just white sheets of paper.  I purchased the cards pictured at Tar.get for $1!
- Scotch tape or any kind of tape really.
- Paint of any kind.  We only had acrylic paint on hand, which isn’t non-toxic so we just watched the bean closely as she painted to make sure none of it made it in her mouth.


Literally the only step in this project is to fold in one of the sides of your toilet paper roll making a heart shape and then tape it.


Once you have your toilet paper roll heart, hand it over to your little one and let them go nuts stamping their cards.  We showed Grace how to do this a few times and she took it from there.


They came out pretty stinkin’ cute if you ask me! 
Happy crafting. :)


13 comments:

  1. Adorable. Valentines are just so fun to make.

    Kind of amazing that we have an entire day dedicated to love, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cards!

    I totally understand what you mean about telling people. I started my blog when I found out that I was having twins (7 weeks), but only told a handful of people about it. I announced it to everyone after the 1st trimester. I can definitely see both sides. You want to tell everyone that Grace is going to be a big sis immediately, but then you also worry about something going wrong. Blogging can be therapeutic though -- sometimes it is easier to share what you're going through, good and bad, because without a doubt, someone else has been there. But hopefully when the BFP comes, it will be all good news :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've pretty much decided to wait because I have some family that reads my blog and I would hate for my mom to hear about it from someone besides me. We just got our 2nd BFN so hopefully 3rd times a charm.

      Delete
  3. It's a really hard decision. I wanted to share as soon as we FINALLY got our BFP, but I also wanted to make sure that this was a viable pregnancy. We waited until 13 weeks to announce it on facebook and the blog, we announced it to close family around 9-10 weeks and kept it a secret before then.
    I still wrote my weekly updates during this time and posted them after we announced it, and I'm glad I did, because you forget so many things and now we'll have a complete "re-cap" of the pregnancy, if that makes any sense! :)
    I can't wait to read about your BFP sometime soon...keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same exact thing. I knew I wouldn't remember what happened in those early months so I wrote about our milestones on a word document and post all three months as one (very long) post. I'm thinking I'll probably do that again.

      I LOVE your pregnancy updates. The chalkboard you gals made is awesome!

      Delete
  4. Ugh, that is such a hard decision. I know exactly where you are coming from though. Because everyone knew we were TTC we announced right away when we found out we were pregnant with our twins. I never could put it in writing when we lost them & basically just disappeared from fb for a while. When we got pregnant with the boys I started our blog to keep a very select few updated since we moved to another state right when I got pregnant. I kept the blog private until we got past the first trimester. Because of the high risk with triplets we never put anything on fb until they arrived safe & sound.
    I'm sure it seemed rather strange to those who have not experienced loss or have had a high risk pregnancy but its what we felt safe doing.

    I LOVE those cards! We may just have to make some today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the beauty of the blog world is that you get to give as little or as much as you want. If writing it all out is cathartic for you then spill your guts, if writing it out and letting people know hurts to much then keep it to yourself. No matter what or when or how you know that you have these people out here in the interwebs who think of you and root for you. Personally I can only share pieces because it's hard enough for me to keep it together, but when I need something you all are right there and that truly has been amazing.

    And on a completely different note, I love your crafts! Seriously I'm going to steal some of them (hope thats ok!) because I love crafting but I can't come up with this stuff on my own :)

    Have a great weekend lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute craft (and kiddo!)

    I experienced a similar thing while TTC Boo. I was not sure what to blog and what not to and when and how elaborate....the usual dilemma. I did not have a blog when TTC Little Monster and so all this was foreign to me. In the end I decided to announce early on the blog. Actually within 24 hours of getting the BFP. I was going to wait until the heartbeat ultrasound and 2nd Beta came back (which would have been a 3 week wait) and there was just no way I could do it. We did not announce on Facebook (and to the majority of IRL friends) until around 10 weeks. My blog is where I come to let it all out. I know it is a "safe place" so to say. I also was comforted in knowing that IF heaven forbid something did go wrong that someone somewhere out in blogland would relate. Knowing that we are not the only ones going through this is comforting. As mentioned above, the best thing about having a blog is you can share as little or as much as YOU feel comfortable. Best of luck to you, no matter what you decide. Don't just go abandoning the blog though...where will we get our cute craft ideas? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a tough decision. I started my blog in complete secrecy when we were TTC #1. I didn't share my blog with family until we were in the safe zone. And now family reads the blog. If we TTC #3 I think I will document the journey "offline" and then post the entries after we are ready to make an announcement. I want others to be able to find my blog for help but I do not want the added stress of family knowing we are TTC. Kara and I have decided to keep the entire process to ourselves the next time around. Plus I would want baby #3 to have a picture of their entire journey to us just as Jakob and Alex do now. But then of course I would rather you share you journey with us!!! haha. You know the blogging world will support you no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, I totally think it's ok to be guarded and if/when you decide to let people know what's going on in your TTC journey, I'm totally on board to read it and cheer you on! Second, those Valentines are absolutely awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute craft idea.

    I shared our journey openly on our blog and told people the minute we got a BFP. One time we had a chemical and it hurt that our positive was a negative right after sharing our news but I found people to be understanding and I liked that they knew why we were upset or cranky. I liked the support, personally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm..We sort of split the difference. I had my mom reading (and everyone she's ever met, apparently) the first round of TTC, and then have tried to move and not be as open for the second. In both cases, though, we didn't post anything until our families had heard it first--on the blog or on the internet anywhere. Too many people started as blog friends and then became IRL friends, and I didn't want an accidental Facebook post hurting anyone's feelings because they didn't hear it from us first!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...