Friday, May 23, 2014

Trying to find the good

While the past couple of weeks have been hard on us, there has been some good sprinkled in there and that’s something I’m very grateful for.  I feel like all I’ve thought about and written about as of late has been TTC.  Thoughts of babies have filled my days and even my dreams and to be honest, I could use a break from it.  In a perfect world, Georgia and I would take a nice long break from TTC for the summer and reconvene in the fall.  And while that’s an ideal plan, it also feels like a step in the wrong direction.  Our goal has always been to have Grace and her little sib close in age and with each passing week my ovaries get a little bit older and so does our gal.  I know that sounds like a crazy way to view things but it’s honestly how I feel… Almost desperate to slow the passing of time, if only just a bit.

I’ve asked A LOT of people, gay moms mostly, what their thoughts are on waiting to try again following a miscarriage.  Most of the things I’ve read actually say that your chances of getting pregnant following a miscarriage are much higher when you try again sooner than later.  Then there are the two RE’s we’ve worked with, one of which says we should wait three full months while his partner in the practice says we don’t need to wait at all.  What to do, what to do?  These are the times when I’m so thankful for the LGBT social networks I belong to because these ladies are such great resources when you need advice.  I polled around 900 hundred gay mamas and the overwhelming response was to try again and soon!  Most were speaking from personal experience having miscarried themselves and then had successful pregnancies soon after.  I think there were only two moms who encouraged us to wait.  I’m still waiting for my numbers to go down to zero before moving forward but as of my last blood test (last week) my numbers were still in the thousands so it may still take a while.  It’s funny how on one hand I wish time would slow while on the other I’m wishing the days would pass quickly.  
Anyway, back to the good… That’s what this post is intended to be about after all, so here goes...

We’re selling our house and in the market to find something bigger, hopefully with a pool!  This has been something we’ve talked about for over a year and as the summer approached and we moved closer to adding another little one to our family, our plans started taking shape.  We met with a broker in early March who made suggestions on things we needed to do to get our home show ready and that list of things has since consumed our lives.  First, I must give SO MUCH credit to my wife who has been working her little tail off for almost two months preparing our casa to go on the market.  Her first task was to install a new air conditioner with her uncle and she did an amazing job turning the house into an icebox, which I love!  She was able to negotiate a wicked good deal for us on the unit and I’m still shocked that we didn’t have to hire someone to do the install!  It saved us some serious money and with all the TTC related expenses we’ve had this year, that was definitely a plus. :)


As if that wasn’t awesome enough, she then taught herself how to lay kitchen tile and filled the hole in our kitchen floor where there was once an island with a beautiful mosaic tile design.  Papa George jumped in to help at the end of the project after the wife taught herself how to prep cement and cut and lay tile.  The colors she picked matched perfectly, just look how pretty.  Oh and we must not forget to thank the amazing Papa George for helping!

The next big project was to repair stucco on the exterior of the back of the house and near our front kitchen window and it turned out great!  G was able to find a company that mixed us a custom stucco color to match our home and after a little research on how to make the repairs, she went for it DIY style.  It’s really added to the overall look of our backyard and I know this one was a big “to-do” that she was very happy to scratch off the list.  Thankfully my mom and her bf, Kevin volunteered to haul all our trash, excess wood and old air conditioner pieces off to the dump.  That was the best favor we could have asked for and totally helped get the yard looking as great as it does!

And the backyard, oh the backyard.  It’s been a mission in itself.  With 3 big dogs (one of which digs holes EVERYWHERE), our yard has taken a beating over the years.  I’m sad to admit that until this past month Grace spent zero time back there because it was just such a mess.  Getting the yard in shape has involved pulling a ton of weeds…


Moving and replacing rock on the side yard…


Cleaning, sweeping and planting flowers (my specialty!)…

Before:
After!

Repairing stucco and installing outdoor solar lighting!


Gracie’s even helped me prep the front yard.  We’ve pulled weeds, planted and nurtured flowers and power washed the driveway.  She’s such a good little helper and I’m so happy to report that since we got the back yard in shape we spend almost every evening back there.  We got Grace a water table to play with in her new space and she’s can’t seem to get enough of it. 


The bean has enjoyed tons of water play in the backyard as her mamas have worked.  She collects rocks that she pretends are seashells and piles them in her pool in-between visits to the water table.  She over waters all the flowers with her little watering can and is obsessed with spraying the hose.  It’s so nice to get stuff done while also keeping her entertained – a total win, win!


My biggest job in all of this has been to de-clutter the house so I’ve been a packing fool!  Almost all of our family photos are bubble wrapped and boxed and we’re still not quite used to how bare the walls and tables look without the pictures that are usually there.  I’ve emptied closets, rearranged furniture and G has taken loads and loads of stuff to the storage unit we rented.  I will admit that the de-cluttering has been nice, especially in the master bedroom.  I’ve always loved our room but it’s even lovelier the way it’s arranged now. :)


And that about wraps up what’s been going on around here.  I’m working on our family Summer Bucket List right now and will hopefully share it soon!  We also did the Zoo Run a few weeks ago, had so much fun and took some adorable pictures so those need to be shared as well.   I really want to get back into blogging because I miss it, so hopefully you’ll be hearing a bit more from me in the coming weeks.

Until then I’ll leave you with this video of pure cuteness!  Happy Friday. :) 



5 comments:

  1. This is so great to hear about your house. I hope you will decide, on the TTC front to do whatever you and G feel most comfortable with! **HUGS** on that front for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I'm actually waiting to have my blood tested now so hopefully we'll be able to decide on our plan of action this week. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay house hunting! You and your wife are so handy and DIY house do-ers (we need to take a page out of your book) As far as ttc goes I have faith that it will all work out, you are strong! Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks friend! I consider myself a DIY-er when it comes to crafty things but stuff like air conditioner install, fixing a heater, laying tile, etc… That’s all the wife’s department and WAY over my head, lol. I can't wait to see more pictures of your new casa! I'm sure it's beautiful. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I am currently going through one, too, and am planning on jumping right back on the bandwagon with another IVF. Looking forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...