Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Summer Bucket List: Farmers Market

Spending the afternoon at a Farmers Market is something I’ve wanted to do ever since I went to a super awesome one in Seattle many years ago.  Unfortunately, up until recently there really wasn’t much of a Farmers Market scene in NM and so there weren’t a lot of options for me and the crew.  This changed in April with the opening of The Yards, an urban market located at the old railway yards, in the industrial Downtown area.  With all the pictures that were shared on FB and IG in May of the location, I was dying to take Grace and bugging G about it just about every weekend!  We then found out that we would need to find something to do one Sunday while our home was being toured for an open house and figured, what better timing!




The Yards was way cooler than I expected because, I didn’t know what to expect.  On the Sunday that we went they had a traveling circus that put on a fun show, which had Gracie’s eyes glued to the group of performers from beginning to end.  She was focused and fascinated sitting still the entire time.  They had live music, walking tours, healthy foods and arts and crafts for the kiddos.  The landscape alone was amazing!  The Market is located in an area that is often used as sets for movies that are filmed in NM.  The most notable movie that shot some scenes here was the first Transformers movie.  Pretty cool, right!
Grace decided she wanted to be little miss independent on this day and refused to be held or hold our hands.  I’m assuming she did this because there was just so much going on and while we usually make her hold hands when out and about, we loosened the reins a bit.  We were obviously watching her like hawks and kept her within arm’s length, but I loved being able to just stand back and watch her explore.  It really made me realize just what a big and independent gal she is quickly growing to be.  She wanted all the little trinkets that were for sale on the tables we passed, but had no problem when we told her, not today little one.  She was treated to a strawberry popsicle instead and that was enough for her.  I was so proud of our big girl. 

I LOVE the picture above.  It was taken (by Mama) just minutes before the Bean broke free of us to check things out.  Oh how I love these two.
I’ve always been so very proud to call myself a New Mexican and to be from a place that has such a deep and rich culture.  If you’ve followed my blog for any short length of time, I’m sure this is old news.  On outings like this one, in which I can discover some new and interesting location with my little tribe, I find myself loving NM all the more. 

And on a completely unrelated note, Gracie is officially a homeowner, hehe!  The girls have a playhouse at their Nani’s and while we would have loved to get one when Nani did, neither G nor I were willing to drop $450 on an oversized toy of any kind… Then as luck would have it – we found a smaller one for half as much and just couldn’t resist.  My oh-so-handy wife put the house together this past weekend and Grace has not stopped playing in it since.  Here she is just chillin’.  That Gracie, such a character! 
We tried telling Grace last night that she couldn’t go out and play in her house because we were both inside making dinner.  We then realized that we’ve been working on the yard like crazy so that Grace CAN be out there on her own.  It’s totally safe and with all the flowers she loves to water, her huge sandbox, her water table and her NEW playhouse, it’s a total fun zone that she wants to spend all her time in.  Now, if only we could get used to the idea of not acting like helicopter mamas… ;)


Summer Bucket List: Visit the Farmers Market – check!



10 comments:

  1. I am loving that playhouse! And Gracie looks adorable as usual. The Yards looks very cool. I have always wanted to visit NM, well the west in general, and every time you post something of your home state the longing increases. One day, I will make it out that way to take in the beauty for myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks friend! If you do make it out west, you must visit us!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great market! Love the little house. We have a side yard away from our pool that we let the kids play in unattended. the older kids also get to go out front unattended sometimes. It can be hard to let go of watching them every second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard!! I can't even imagine letting her out front, lol but I know when she's older, that's next. I wish we had a pool!!

      Delete
  3. I love that last picture of Gracie! I really want one of those playhouses too, but Katie refuses to have any kind of big play structure in the yard ... I'm sure she'll change her mind when the little one gets older! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadine! Just give Katie some time... She'll be the one bringing ridiculous gifts home very soon. Ha!

      Delete
  4. I love having a backyard that the kiddo can go out and play in while I cook dinner or clean. It is a win-win and it will get easier the older she gets. C is 4, and now I sometimes throw him outside for both of our sake's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it gets easier because the older she gets, the more of a handful she has become! It would be nice to release our little wild one outside in the evenings. I can only imagine when she's 4!

      Delete
  5. OMG, that last picture is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...