Wednesday, December 3, 2014

DIY keepsake ornaments!

I’m not going to lie… I’m obsessed with Christmas. I love everything about it! The decorations, the specials that run on TV about the birth of Jesus and how Christmas originated. I love all the kiddos running around in matching Christmas jammies and of course, the presents. We must not forget the presents! I also LOVE crafting so you can imagine my excitement each year as these two worlds collide and I’m able to create new Christmas crafts. Woot!

We started lots of new traditions in 2012 for Gracie’s 1st Christmas and one of my favorites of these traditions was to make ornaments every year. For her first Christmas, I made ornaments using our first ever family holiday photos and cookie cutters. I ended making about 10 (5 of which my sister snatched up and took back to Vancouver) but left us with my favorites. Last Christmas, we made dough ornaments, something I did with my Ma as a kid it's been a mama bucket list activity I’ve waited all my life to check off with my own little ones. Grace played with her own pile of dough and flour while I worked on her ornament and they turned out so stinkin’ adorable! We gave all but one away to family and I was so thrilled this Christmas when I unpacked her little dough hand ornament of Santa and placed it on our tree.


This brings us to this Christmas and our DIY Wedding Invitation/baby announcement ornaments! I came across the idea a few years ago while looking at a window display at the mall and loved it! The how-to seemed simple enough just looking at the ornament and it was. This project only took about an hour total – 30 minutes to make each and was super simple. We’ve had extra wedding invitations in a dusty box for 5 years and an entire box of extra baby announcements so I was so happy to finally find something to do with them. This would also work with baby’s first birthday invites, baby shower invites and really any other special announcements you’ve been holding on to. I only used 3 invitations each, so if you have some lying around, you're all set!

Here’s what you’ll need:


The announcements/invitations you plan to use, shatter-proof clear ornaments, ribbon, scissors, a paper cutter, twine and charms (optional). 

Step 1: Cut your invitation into strips. If possible, avoid cutting through words or faces if using a picture announcement. This is why you will need more than one announcement/invitation for each ornament. 


Step 2: Take one strip at a time and slowly slide the strip into your ornament. It will naturally stop once it reaches the bottom of the ornament and bend from bottom to top staying in place. Depending on the size of your ornament, you’ll want to measure your first strip to see how long you’ll need to cut the rest making sure they’re long enough to reach top to bottom. You will repeat this step until you have the desired number of strips filling the inside of the ball and feel free to move them into place if needed. I used the pencil eraser to readjust my strips.


Step 3: Take your remaining strips and curl them tight using a pencil. These paper curls are what you’ll use to fill the center of your ornament. I filled each about half way to the top with paper curls and made sure to cut some strips that had color so they would stand out in the center of the ornament.


Step 4: You’ll then reattach the top of the ornament, wrap the neck of the ornament in ribbon and tie on your charm using the twine. You can use the same twine to make a loop for hanging your ornament. Here’s a picture of the back of the baby announcement ornament to get a full view!


And that’s it – you’re finished!


Georgia loved the way these came out! She loved them so much that she wants me to make special keepsake ornaments for everyone in our family! I hope you love the ones you make just as much and if you’re looking for other crafting projects – here are a few Christmas crafts we’ve completed over the years. Happy crafting!





6 comments:

  1. I so so so adore these!!! I only have one announcement left but think I might actually order more just to do this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thanks Spring! Be sure to share some pictures if you make one. :)

      Delete
  2. yip that's pretty damn fantastic. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea! We may have to do something like that next year. Our countdown is full this year, but we are making hot chocolate ornaments for the neighbors and their kids. Its going to be awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you do a Christmas countdown and I fully plan to swing by your blog and check out all the fab things you have planned for P this year!

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...